You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-08 02:59:51

kleptophobiac

Autologin via kdm or gdm into a fluxbox session?

I would like to use kdm or gdm to autologin to an arch box as a normal user. So far this works beautifully.

The downside is that when auto logging in, both gdm and kdm only load gnome and kde respectively. How do I change the default wm for the autologin?

#2 2004-07-08 03:48:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Autologin via kdm or gdm into a fluxbox session?

I think kdm allows you to set up the default user and session in the kde control centre... I think.

#3 2004-07-08 05:11:20

luigi

Dusty wrote:

I think kdm allows you to set up the default user and session in the kde control centre... I think.

The power to control sessions thru the graphical control center have been severely restricted in the newest version of KDM (with KDE 3.2.3).  You still can set the default user to autologin, but you can't choose the session.

You'll have to manually edit the files in KDE's session directory.

su - root
cd /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/sessions
mv kde.desktop kdenew.desktop

KDM looks at kde.desktop when doing an autologin, so you'll modify the following lines in kde.desktop accordingly:

Exec=fluxbox
TryExec=fluxbox
Name=Fluxbox

The Name= part isn't all that necessary unless you want to be accurate when manually choosing from the KDM like normal.  This is a pretty dirty hack.  I thought maybe creating and modifying a default.desktop file would work, but it did not.

Because the new KDM does things a little differently (and will continue to do so with 3.3) I'll post a help page on the Wiki about it soon.  I also was able to get rid of those never-used default/failsafe/custom options in KDM (see my other post in this forum).

#4 2004-07-08 06:44:26

kleptophobiac

I ended up edit the Xsession file, and the default case ended up executing the  xinitrc in the home directory. Works just as well. thanks!

#5 2004-07-08 16:55:45

luigi

kleptophobiac wrote:

I ended up edit the Xsession file, and the default case ended up executing the  xinitrc in the home directory. Works just as well. thanks!

The .xinitrc in the user's home directory (/home/name/.xinitrc)?  Odd, I tried that but KDM didn't read that either.  Oh well, glad you found a fix!

Board footer