You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-18 09:26:03

halcor

LXterminal trouble, [Closed]

I have a very old machine and I need use LXDE.

But I've got a trouble with LXterminal. If I try to use:

Pacman -Ss <program>

Lxterminal, search the program but sometimes the number of lines that search gives me is bigger than the number of lines that Lxterminal show me.

I need that someone gives me a solution for Lxterminal or a new light terminal or a list of light terminal. I don't want to see a log in order to install a program.

Thanks.

Last edited by halcor (2008-09-18 19:42:19)

#2 2008-09-18 09:32:54

dav7

Re: LXterminal trouble, [Closed]

Resource constrained machines can do pretty awesome stuff too... you aren't bound to "ooh, I have an old PC, my only option is XYZ." I recommend Openbox personally. tongue

I don't want to see a log in order to install a program.

What do you mean by that? Pacman lists what it does verbosely by design. There are graphical package managers out there for Arch though if you're interested.

And about a terminal... I use urxvt. Well, specifically urxvtd and urxvtc.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-09-18 09:38:32

byte

Does the usual Shift-PgUp trick not work with LXterminal?

(Hi dav7 ;-)

Last edited by byte (2008-09-18 09:39:14)

#4 2008-09-18 10:01:31

moljac024

You could try xterm or urxvt. I just can't believe LXterminal would have a problem like that. Could you grab a screenshot ? Are you running screen maybe?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-09-18 10:01:56

dav7

Hi byte... yes, it does work.

halcor, I just installed lxterminal to try it out quickly. Lxterminal depends on VTE which in turn is based on some very heavyweight libraries, XFT among them. In short, if you don't mind losing a few nice effects like antialiased fonts you would do well to scratch LXDE, start "bare" X and build up from there. This will give you a much faster/responsive system.

I can recommend you start with a few barebones applications like urxvt and openbox. Install both of those, if you use a display manager disable it, and then start afresh using startx to get your system going. Yes, it'll be a bit "weird" and will have a bit of a learning curve, but the result will be great in the end. And you'll have a system that works around you, not the other way around big_smile

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#6 2008-09-18 10:36:07

xd-0
Website

If I understand you right, LXterminal does'nt remember all the lines. So you can't se all the output even if you scroll upp.
If you open (or create if it does'nt exist) .Xdefaults  (big X). I have the following row for xterm, that tells it to remember 200 rows.

XTerm*saveLines: 200

You shold bwe able to do the same, but I'm not sertain about lxterminals name here. You could try:

LXTerminal*saveLines: 200

#7 2008-09-18 14:40:45

halcor

Resource constrained machines can do pretty awesome stuff too... you aren't bound to "ooh, I have an old PC, my only option is XYZ." I recommend Openbox personally.

I don't want to see a log in order to install a program.

What do you mean by that? Pacman lists what it does verbosely by design. There are graphical package managers out there for Arch though if you're interested.

And about a terminal... I use urxvt. Well, specifically urxvtd and urxvtc.

-dav7

I'm new in linux, I used use XFCE, and later try GNOME and KDE4, finally I try LXDE, and it's faster than the other 3. I'm sure that openbox is faster than LXDE, but with LXDE is enought fast and works fine.

Some day I'll try openbox. I love try new programs but today I'm trying LXDE.

Does the usual Shift-PgUp trick not work with LXterminal?

(Hi dav7 ;-)

Last edited by byte (Today 11:39:14)

No it doesn´t work. LXTerminal only remember a few lines, the last lines. You can use pageup to see this lines, but the firsts you can't see.

You could try xterm or urxvt. I just can't believe LXterminal would have a problem like that. Could you grab a screenshot ? Are you running screen maybe?

I will try xterm or urxvt. Yes I can't show you a screenshot because I don't know that programs I need. But X11 works fine. I'm not in command line.

Hi byte... yes, it does work.

halcor, I just installed lxterminal to try it out quickly. Lxterminal depends on VTE which in turn is based on some very heavyweight libraries, XFT among them. In short, if you don't mind losing a few nice effects like antialiased fonts you would do well to scratch LXDE, start "bare" X and build up from there. This will give you a much faster/responsive system.

I can recommend you start with a few barebones applications like urxvt and openbox. Install both of those, if you use a display manager disable it, and then start afresh using startx to get your system going. Yes, it'll be a bit "weird" and will have a bit of a learning curve, but the result will be great in the end. And you'll have a system that works around you, not the other way around

Sorry, I'm spanish and my level of linux is very bad. What is bare?, Would I leave LXDE?

If I understand you right, LXterminal does'nt remember all the lines. So you can't se all the output even if you scroll upp.
If you open (or create if it does'nt exist) .Xdefaults  (big X). I have the following row for xterm, that tells it to remember 200 rows.

XTerm*saveLines: 200

You shold bwe able to do the same, but I'm not sertain about lxterminals name here. You could try:

LXTerminal*saveLines: 200

Not work

So I think that LXTerminal is a very bad terminal. And It's not problem from configuration. It's a trouble of the design.

I'll try urxvt.

And I use Openbox. Look at the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDE

Openbox: Lightweight, standard-compliant, and highly-configurable window manager (This is not developed by LXDE Project, but it's used as default window manager). This can be replaced by any other window manager like icewm, fluxbox, metacity, ...etc.

Finally I find this: http://martin.ankerl.com/files/term-bench.png

So I'll try: wterm, aterm, rxvt  and Eterm

Last edited by halcor (2008-09-18 14:56:19)

#8 2008-09-18 16:30:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hi halcor,

sakura is a very nice terminal too. It also requires vte, so it's not as light as some of the others.

#9 2008-09-18 17:59:22

firecat53
Website

I run lxde and I also moved to sakura because of the scrollback issue! Seems like that would be a pretty key detail to get fixed for lxterminal.

Scott

#10 2008-09-18 18:35:53

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Pacman -Ss <program> | less

I think switching terminals is a good idea, but I'm posting the above command for future reference as it will work with any command that produces many lines of output on the terminal. It will let you scroll through the output from the start. In general, use it this way:

<command that produces many lines of output> | less

The "|" character is the pipe character, not l (lower-case L).

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#11 2008-09-18 19:37:42

halcor

Thanks to everybody, Sakura y a very good option with no dependecies.

And Xyne, I'll remember you advice, i love dir /p /b in ms-dos.

Board footer