You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-19 09:19:31

whaler

Some experiences with Kspread

I thought I should try Kspread to see if it is faster than the hopelessly slow OOo Calc.

I first let it import a small Calc file, which went OK. I then tried a bigger one, which caused it to just die. No go.

So I thought I would read a bit in Kspread Help, and got this message:

"Could not launch the KDE Help Center: Could not find service 'khelpcenter' "
Same message from both Kspread's help button and F1.

OK. So I went to the repositories to see if there were separate files for Koffice help, and found "koffice-doc 1.6.3-2", which I installed. Now I can't find it. No icon, nothing under "man"...??

Alright, so I thought I'd experiment a little on my own and opened Kspread's Tools -> Script Manager -> Script Editor and was told: "Failed to execute python code: Failed to import the required PyQt python module."

I also tried Tools -> Scripts -> Scripts Editor, which resulted in this message: "Failed to execute python code: Failed to import the required PyQt python module. File "/opt/kde/share/apps/kspread/scripts/scripteditor/ScriptEditor.py", line 19, in <module>
raise "Failed to import the required PyQt python module." "

Well, according to locate, the file exists...

#2 2008-09-19 11:31:38

dav7

Re: Some experiences with Kspread

Maybe the file existed but doesn't anymore?

Try manually checking (ie with ls) to see if that file exists.

Kinda lame suggestion, but it would likely have been asked eventually...

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-09-19 16:00:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

I know this isn't quite what you're asking, but have you tried OpenOffice 3.0 yet? It's way faster at every level from my experience.

#4 2008-09-20 06:30:35

whaler

Thank you for the replies. ls finds two files, ScriptEditor.py and ScriptEditor.rc, in the pertinent directory, as does Dolphin. Seems Kspread's Help and Script Editor are both screwed on this installation. I have skimmed through the beginner's guides to get reminded of the default doc directory in Arch, but it evades me...  How do I find and get to read the "koffice-doc 1.6.3-2"?

Trying out OOo 3.0 sounds interesting - I'll do so forthwith! smile

#5 2008-09-20 08:25:25

whaler

I have now tried the OOo beta and devel versions. Loading a Calc document may be a wee bit faster than v. 2.x, but I still have to wait 10 seconds or more before Calc registers an input - even of the simplest kind. I am keeping the devel version, although it may be somewhat unsafe... Too bad Kspread is broken here, or I could have tested its performance (:

I notice there is also a System Cairo version of OpenOffice. Would that be worth a try?

#6 2008-09-28 14:09:21

fede

It seems like it can't find pyqt, which comes as a package. I suggest you check if you've got it installed via pacman. If you have, perhaps it needs pyqt3 and not pyqt, I don't know, maybe you can try out both.

(If this is the problem, then the proper pyqt dependency is missing from the archlinux koffice package; maybe you sould file a bug report.)

Board footer