You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-20 10:58:24

Ankou

"USB HID core driver"

Hi,
At the first time I had a running Arch Linux installation, but I wanted to reinstall it to clean everything up.
After installing it a second second time I'm not able to boot it any longer.
The last thing it says is
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
and than there's a kind of rescue console.

The problem is, that there are no new USB devices since the last installation, I can't figure anything out that changed but obviously there is something.

#2 2008-10-05 15:50:55

JoshuaK
Website

Re: "USB HID core driver"

Same exact not-so fairy tale story here. Had it, went and put about 3 different distros on it to test it out, and it messes up just like that does. But see, my rig is /dev/sda is Ubuntu and /dev/sdb is my "test drive". With my flash stick (sdc) in or out it gives that error. I am sorta a linux newbie so i just installed all packages... something to do with that? I tried i686 and x86-64 and both give the error. Squak!!! Help please, i will see if I dont just have unneeded pkgs and see if thats the problem.

Meh has new account! This one left behind for history's sake...

#3 2008-10-05 18:26:43

JoshuaK
Website

Please? I tried EXT3 and Reiser to see if FS made a difference and it did not. Is it the fact that this is on /dev/sdb? The fact that I did not install GRUB for the mere fact that I'd be using Ubuntu's GRUB? This time I was more selective of packages only installing what I need... x86-64. It says something along the lines of cant create/find root FS ''. Uhh... I'm lost. Please, please help.

#4 2008-10-05 20:59:31

pointone
Wiki Admin

You'll need to post the exact error message (not just the last line--often you will see a number of lines leading to/resulting from one error) or provide more details before anyone can really help out. If you can access your entire dmesg, that would likely be best.

However, based on your limited description, I would be leaning towards an improper "root=" line in your GRUB configuration.

Remember, /dev/sda in Arch may not refer to the same location as /dev/sda in Ubuntu. This is why UUIDs are usually recommended.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#5 2008-10-05 22:13:31

JoshuaK
Website

Yup, it was GRUB, in fact, I didnt install it on Arch and Ubuntu's wasn't pointing correctly. To fix it, I unplugged HD1 and therefore HD2 was HD1. I installed arch (AND GRUB!) on this HDD, and it boots. In fact, I am writing this in Konqueror on Arch x86-64. Thanks.

#6 2008-10-22 14:24:40

Ankou

Okay, I just saw that there's an answer.
In fact it works when I use Archs GRUB. But I would prefer to use Ubuntus GRUB because Archs GRUB seems to have problems with Windows.
So, how can I use Ubuntus GRUB with Arch?

edit:
this is my current configuration(menu.lst):

title  Arch Linux
root   (hd1,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/0e5f3e7e-fecd-4c9f-9bdc-b7f4d59da03e ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Last edited by Ankou (2008-10-22 15:23:47)

Board footer