You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-20 18:07:01

raymano
Website

So long, and thanks for all the fish...

I would like to thank the Arch Linux developers and its community for a great couple of years of learning and support. I have come to love many things about Arch in the past couple of years and have to say that it has taught me the internals of Linux more than any other distribution that I have ever worked with in the past 13 years. FaunOS was the result of this learning experience.

However, lately I am finding myself disagreeing more and more with what the current Arch Linux leadership considers "Simple" in the KISS principal. I'm also finding it more difficult to deal with the problems of a rolling-release distribution. It's not for me anymore. This is just a personal opinion and I'm sure many would disagree with me. But I can't change the way I feel.

I have tried out the latest Ubuntu release, Hardy Heron, and believe that I agree more with the current Ubuntu approach. Because of this, and not having enough time in my personal life, I have also decided to discontinue all my work on FaunOS. The website and and downloads will remain in place. There are still many people using it out there.

So here I bow out and again thank you all for this great experience.

Sincerely,
Raymano G.

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#2 2008-09-20 18:09:36

haxit
Website

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Thank you. Hope you have fun with Ubuntu big_smile

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#3 2008-09-20 18:15:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

raymano, in my years here I've seen very few people who contributed so much to so many people. Best wishes in anything and everything.

#4 2008-09-20 19:13:57

Fackamato

WTF sad

Oh well, good luck with Ubuntu. I just found out about FaunOS and it's so brilliant. It is so blazingly fast! It's actually my primary OS at the moment (4GB corsair usb stick).

And now I find out that it's completely abandoned. sad, forum doesn't even work (error when trying to post new topic), the wiki doesn't work at all etc. sad

#5 2008-09-20 19:45:59

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Take care my friend

MrG

Mr Green

#6 2008-09-20 21:51:39

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

What a shame, FaunOS is one of the best things that happened to Arch in the past couple years. Hope things go well with Ubuntu.

Dusty

#7 2008-09-20 21:57:35

whargoul

Great job you did with FaunOS, I hope Ubuntu will suit you well. smile

raymano wrote:

However, lately I am finding myself disagreeing more and more with what the current Arch Linux leadership considers "Simple" in the KISS principal.

What is actually your disagreement in the Leaderships interpretation of "Simple"?

Arch - It's something refreshing

#8 2008-09-20 23:42:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for Faunos Raymano, and do well again in whatever you undertake.......................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#9 2008-09-20 23:58:08

Odd-rationale

Sad to see you go, raymono. I hope you find a distro that suits your needs.

#10 2008-09-21 00:54:32

godane
Website

Raymano, I can always pickup where you left off with Faunos. I just going to have to modified the scripts to work with archiso-live and not larch cause of the problems i have been having with them.

Best wishes, Godane

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#11 2008-09-21 02:08:28

kensai
Website

whargoul wrote:

What is actually your disagreement in the Leaderships interpretation of "Simple"?

Best not to go there, at least in this thread.

Well, raymano, thanks for all your contributions, and hope everything goes well with Ubuntu.

Last edited by kensai (2008-09-21 02:09:27)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#12 2008-09-21 15:25:02

catwell
Website

Even though I don't use FaunOS, I hope somebody will keep working on it, it's a great Arch derivative. This is free software after all, a developper stopping his work doesn't mean the death of the project.

Anyawy, good luck to you raymano, come back to Arch when you're fed up with Ubuntu and its graphic tools smile

#13 2008-09-21 21:35:54

carlocci

Thank you raymano, even if I never used FaunOS because the logo creeped me out.
I suggested it to a couple of friends though.

kensai wrote:
whargoul wrote:

Best not to go there, at least in this thread.

Actually, I thought the forum was a sort of flyspray, only for users instead of programs, so I would like to hear the reason as well.

#14 2008-09-21 22:10:49

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for your contributions, and good luck!

Even though you will eventually be back, like everybody else tongue

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#15 2008-09-22 00:40:58

raymano
Website

Thanks for all the kind words.

Few things I'd like to clarify:

- As people have mentioned in this thread, my post here does not mean that FaunOS is dead. Someone else can always pickup where I left off. The FaunOS SVN repos are still there.

- Godane: You are more than welcome to continue with FaunOS. Send me an email and we can get you going.

- My definition of "Simple" is simple for everyone, including any non-techie person that uses a computer, at work or at home. Not simple just for developers, hackers, or Linux enthusiasts, which I do believe Arch Linux is very simple in that regard. "Simple" to me should include people that do not want to spend the time to read manuals and follow step by step instructions.

I did mention that Arch Linux is no longer "for me." It is just that I think that it's time for me to move on.

- As people in this forum know, there are many, many Live Linux distributions out there. Even though FaunOS has become relatively popular in a short amount of time, and has some unique features, it is just another Live Linux distro. The next project that I would like to focus on (if I get some time!) is a combination of a live distro and a web-based operating system which I believe with fast solid state storage, and (excuse the buzz word) Cloud Computing, is possible in the very near future.

First came the Internet and Internet Service Providers (ISP), then web-based applications and Application Service Providers (ASP), now it's time for web-based operating systems and Operating System Providers (OSP) and I don't know if this term has been used out there yet, but I know that this is coming. This will happen because it makes both technical and economical sense.

Virtualization with systems like VMWare or Virtual Box, combined with a portable storage device with a live OS would make the web-based OS possible and very practical. I believe that the current big boys (Google, et al) are not approaching this correctly, yet.

I have some ideas on how to make this work. Anyone interested? wink

kensai: I apologize if this is not supposed to go here but feel free to move it to anywhere you think is appropriate.

Regards,
Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2008-09-22 00:52:22)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#16 2008-09-22 05:16:21

dav7

Hey there.

I can see that the wiki returns a blank page at faunos.com, and although I haven't tried it, I'll believe the poster who said that the forums don't let you add new posts.

Although I've not heard much about this distro (except that it uses pacman), now that I've heard that you're no longer maintaining it, the first thing that entered my mind is that people need to know this. I recommend some kind of notification be put on your site saying that you're no longer maintaining FaunOS (sort of like a small summary, with a link to more information and further links to get started with helping), and the fairly decent amount of whitespace at the top of the page looks like a perfect place to put it for maybe a month or so. Since I hear that this distro is relatively popular, several individuals are likely to come forward and offer to help fix bugs, maintain the forum and wiki, etc. This might get it all back on track tongue

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-09-22 05:16:39)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#17 2008-09-22 14:56:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

raymano wrote:

I have some ideas on how to make this work. Anyone interested? wink

I'm fascinated, mate, keep me posted!

Dusty

#18 2008-09-22 18:39:17

mandog

It is a sad day for all to see someone leave for what ever reason, but you are right Arch is not simple to learn its a challenge. So is Ubuntu in a differant way so good luck my friend
Mandog

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#19 2008-09-23 05:03:14

B-Con
Website

Best wishes. You're not really leaving the neighborhood since Linux is Linux, it just comes in different flavors. You're just moving toward the other end of the neighborhood -- you're still a neighbor, though.

Thanks for all your work on FaunOS. Best wishes on your future endeavors.

#20 2008-09-23 05:06:45

Stythys
Website

dav7 wrote:

Hey there.

I can see that the wiki returns a blank page at faunos.com, and although I haven't tried it, I'll believe the poster who said that the forums don't let you add new posts.

Although I've not heard much about this distro (except that it uses pacman), now that I've heard that you're no longer maintaining it, the first thing that entered my mind is that people need to know this. I recommend some kind of notification be put on your site saying that you're no longer maintaining FaunOS (sort of like a small summary, with a link to more information and further links to get started with helping), and the fairly decent amount of whitespace at the top of the page looks like a perfect place to put it for maybe a month or so. Since I hear that this distro is relatively popular, several individuals are likely to come forward and offer to help fix bugs, maintain the forum and wiki, etc. This might get it all back on track tongue

-dav7

yeah, the site definitely needs to be updated, with links on how to help out and stuff. I also agree that people are very likely to come forward to keep this project from dying (myself included big_smile)

So yeah...let people know what's happening man, and let them know how to get started helping out. I would love to get this project back on it's feet.

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#21 2008-09-23 10:03:04

ibendiben

Pity. You did great on FaunOS.

Board footer