You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-22 20:03:22

ryuuzaki

Xmonad will not load :(

HI! I'm a new archlinux user, with a little bit of unix background(started with ubuntu), now i found a distro thats way way better than ubuntu, i installed it using ftp/cd, updated pacman, and i installed my video drivers (ati) for fluxbox and such.

I like fluxbox as a wm, but looking around, i found people enjoy a tiling wm, and i came across xmonad and wanted to try it myself.

So i installed xmonad with:

pacman -S xmonad xmonad-contrib
pacman -S haskell-x11
pacman -S ghc

and my ~/.xinitrc file, i commented exec fluxbox:

#exec fluxbox
 exec xmonad

when i:

startx

i get a greyish-black screen with a 'X' cursor you can move around and nothing loads.

my question is do i need to uninstall fluxbox?
or do i need to install the xmonad-darcs packages, cuz i've been reading around that ghc 6.4.2 is the problem on some cases.
but those were posted around January this year, so im assuming that they have solved that problem already.

Any tips?

thnx in advance.

Last edited by ryuuzaki (2008-09-22 20:06:59)

#2 2008-09-22 20:08:53

moljac024

Re: Xmonad will not load :(

What are you expecting to load ? Xmonad probably started OK.
Try hitting alt+shift+enter and see if a terminal pops up.

You can "fix" the pointer with the following command:

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

Add that before the "exec xmonad" line. Basically add anything you want started with xmonad before that line.

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-09-22 20:10:53)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-09-22 20:14:11

wuischke

Just to confirm this: That's how Xmonad looks after you started it. Using the default xmonad.hs and provided you have dmenu and/or gmrun installed, use Alt+(Shift+)P to launch an application. I recommend making application shortcuts. I think Alt+W and Alt+E will start Firefox and leafpad in the default config.

#4 2008-09-22 20:48:52

ryuuzaki

wow, thnx for the fast replies, haha i feel stupid, you're right i didnt check and see if i can open up a terminal. I'm at school in my comp lab right now, looking for answers for my problem, but i'll try your solutions when i get home. Thanks for all the help big_smile

Board footer