You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-22 20:59:19

Vintendo
Website

Trying to figure out mutt

I want to figure out Mutt, but it's so diverse that there are to many options:lol:

A few things i can't figure out,

I want all the email in one inbox, that means, i have two imap-accounts. I want the read and unread in one inbox, the read have two be normal font and the unread should be a color or bold or something. I want something like opera's M2. I use offlineimap to fetch my mail.

And it shouldn't ask is i want to move the email I read.

Does someone know a good mutt guide

And can someone recommend a good news reader?

Last edited by Vintendo (2008-09-22 21:08:54)

#2 2008-09-22 21:36:10

Profjim

Re: Trying to figure out mutt

Some good guides to Mutt are;
the Mutt Guide <http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttGuide>
My first mutt <http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/>
Woodfields Guide <http://therandymon.com/woodnotes/mutt/>

The Mutt Wiki has many more links.

I think the option to not ask to move the email you read is "set move=no". That's off the top of my head. But honestly, I recommend spending some days slowly going through the Mutt manual and these websites (and man muttrc) just getting an overall sense of the landscape. Take notes. Yes it's complicated at first, but that's partly because it's so powerful. (And partly because it's old and grew up this way.)

Getting all your mail from different accounts into a single mailbox is easy. Doing it with offlineimap is a lot trickier. If you have offlineimap synch your inbox, then whenever account A gets a message, it will get synched to your inbox and then when your inbox is synched against account B, it will get copied to account B too. Perhaps that's what you want. If not, then you can't be synching your inbox against both accounts. You could synch your account A with inboxA and account B with inboxB, and then have some script move the messages from inboxA and inboxB to a common inbox, but then why use offlineimap in the first place? Why not just use getmail, which just downloads mail? (You can tell getmail not to delete from the server.)

By "newsreader" do you mean Usenet news or rss/atom-newsfeeds?

If you mean rss-newsfeeds, then check out newsbeuter. It tries to be "the mutt of feedreaders."

If you mean usenet newsgroups:

There are a bunch of mutt-like newsreaders. For instance, slrn and tin. Slrn has a nice helper called "slrnpull." (I think the aur/slrn package didn't build slrnpull, but the aur/slrn-svn did.) Slrnpull works like getmail, but for usenet messages instead of email. It will just go fetch messages matching the criteria you give it. I've got it configured on a cron job to go to gmane and download some of the mailing lists that are archived there as newsgroups.

You don't need to use slrnpull to use slrn--I think slrn can connect to the newsserver directly. It's just useful to have some of the work happen during downtime.

Once the articles are downloaded to your machine, you can broswe them using slrn or --- mutt! Mutt will open the newsgrou;p files I download with slrnpull directly, no translators needed. I wouldn't be able to directly post to the groups with mutt; but since my newsgroup browsing is read-only and infrequent, mutt + slrnpull are all I need.

#3 2008-09-22 23:41:59

Vintendo
Website

Re: Trying to figure out mutt

Thanks for the fast reply, i am going thru the Woodfields guide now(slowely beacause it's two am over here).

set move=no was the answer. And I like complicated, it always pays off at the end(example: Vim, Xmonad). But i couldn't find a good guide.

I used offlineimap because the arch wiki told me:lol:, i tried the built in imap support, but I want the messages on my pc. With getmail it is a piece of cake two combine two emailadresses in one box(took me a little longer to figure out why he kept downloading all the messages:p ).

I ment an rss/atom-newsfeed reader, so I will check out newsbeuter

Board footer