You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-23 15:21:35

void.pointer

[SOLVED] pacman & test repository

Hi,

I have two questions:
1) Where should the testing repository be added in the pacman config? Right now the order of my repositories is default:

61 [core]
 62 # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
 63 Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
 65 [extra]
 66 # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
 67 Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
 69 [community]
 70 # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
 71 Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Where in this order would [testing] go? I'm not sure where it should be placed.

2) Is there a way to specifically tell pacman which packages I want to be updated in the testing repository? For example, I do not want Apache to be updated from [testing] but I may want Subversion to be updated from that repository.

Thanks.

Last edited by void.pointer (2008-09-23 18:14:36)

#2 2008-09-23 15:40:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] pacman & test repository

Testing is listed first in makepkg.conf. On the rare occasions that I've used testing this has worked fine. As far as the second request, I would enable testing, update the database, install the package I was looking for (with its dependencies), then disable testing. You could go through all of the work of IgnorePkg =, but I wouldn't bother.

#3 2008-09-23 15:46:25

void.pointer

skottish wrote:

Testing is listed first in makepkg.conf. On the rare occasions that I've used testing this has worked fine. As far as the second request, I would enable testing, update the database, install the package I was looking for (with its dependencies), then disable testing. You could go through all of the work of IgnorePkg =, but I wouldn't bother.

How about an EnablePkg= ? That would pretty much solve my problem I believe. Why do you mention makepkg.conf? Doesn't it need to be in pacman.conf? I'm confused...

Adding/Removing stuff from a config file everytime I want to update isn't really something I want to do. I'd rather not use [testing] at all in that case. Gentoo can do this, I was hoping Archlinux could as well.

Last edited by void.pointer (2008-09-23 15:49:24)

#4 2008-09-23 17:18:38

Garns

man pacman.conf wrote:

The order of repositories in the configuration files matters; repositories listed first will take precedence over those listed later in the file when packages in two repositories have identical names, regardless of version number.

So if you put testing before the other repos, all your packages will be upgraded to packages from testing when you -Syu. If you put it at the end, only packages that you specify will be updated. So to update subversion you do -S testing/subversion. The only thing you need to keep in mind when you do that are possible dependencies. For example I'm pretty sure you don't want to upgrade just the kernel smile .

#5 2008-09-23 17:24:41

ghostHack

If you only want a single package from [testing] it would be better to use ABS, grab the PKGBUILD from /var/abs/testing and build it yourself.  The reason for this is that the version in [testing] may be built against newer versions of its dependencies than are on your system.  By building it locally you will make sure that it is built against consistant libraries etc.

AFAIK the only officially supported way of running [testing] is to have it at the top in pacman.conf.

#6 2008-09-23 18:14:23

void.pointer

Thanks for your help guys.

#7 2008-09-23 18:20:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

void.pointer wrote:

Why do you mention makepkg.conf? Doesn't it need to be in pacman.conf? I'm confused...

Sorry about that. I even had pacman.conf open when I wrote it down.

Board footer