You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-27 05:22:18

abowlt1990

[SOLVED] Is it possible to replace xterm with urxvt

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to replace xterm with urxvt, on a system level. so that anything that would usually refer to xterm would then refer to urxvt.

Thanks in advanced

Ash

Last edited by abowlt1990 (2008-09-27 15:56:24)

#2 2008-09-27 05:33:56

Statix

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to replace xterm with urxvt

One way would be to link the xterm command to urxvt. Not sure if this is the best route to take though.

First, definitely backup /usr/bin/xterm

Then
ln -s /usr/bin/urxvt /usr/bin/xterm

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2008-09-27 05:36:04

abowlt1990

Thanks for the quick response, as you said you do not know whether that would be the best path, i think i will wait until there are a few more answers here, if others agree with you, i then i will definitely use your solution.

Thanks again

Ash

#4 2008-09-27 05:54:32

skottish
Forum Fellow

I believe that it's set by the TERM environmental variable. You could add 'export TERM=urxvt' to ~/.bashrc.

#5 2008-09-27 09:13:39

Mektub

I dont think symlinking is ever a good solution. One day it will come back and hit you. And it will confuse and
break updates.

KDE4 uses 'systemsetup'. Under 'Default applications' you can setup your default terminal.
Gnome uses 'gnome-control-center' --> 'prefered applications'.

Myself I use 'icewm', but gnome/KDE applications do use the terminal I setted above (roxterm).

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#6 2008-09-27 11:12:49

abowlt1990

Mektub wrote:

I dont think symlinking is ever a good solution. One day it will come back and hit you. And it will confuse and
break updates.

KDE4 uses 'systemsetup'. Under 'Default applications' you can setup your default terminal.

Myself I use 'icewm', but gnome/KDE applications do use the terminal I setted above (roxterm).

Mektub

Thanks for the options but i would prefer not to have to install anything KDE or GNOME based, i am looking to have a nice clean openbox dekstop.

Thanks for the help

Ash

#7 2008-09-27 12:48:37

moljac024

abowlt1990 wrote:
Mektub wrote:

break updates.

Mektub

Thanks for the options but i would prefer not to have to install anything KDE or GNOME based, i am looking to have a nice clean openbox dekstop.

Thanks for the help

Ash

Maybe you could be more specific so we could help you better.
What is it exactly that you're trying to achieve ?
Have you tried exporting "urxvt" to the $TERM environment variable ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2008-09-27 15:07:16

dschrute

I think the TERM variable refers to the capabilities of the current console/tty, not to the program it is being displayed in.  So for example, if TERM is set to vt100 it will have only more basic functionality than say xterm or similar.

You could use an alias in /etc/profile.  Something like :
alias xterm='urxvt'

This will definitely work if calling xterm directly, and should also work for any programs that want to launch it.  You can also remove the xterm package, since I don't think much is dependent on it.

#9 2008-09-27 15:53:31

abowlt1990

Thanks for all of the help guys, i have added 'export TERM=rxvt-unicode' to .bashrc and i have also setup an alias in '/etc/profile'.

Again thanks for all the help.

Board footer