You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-27 13:47:00

Alp

Fresh Arch install: Experiencing some problems(hotkeys,kopete,taskbar)

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Arch (yesterday to be precise) and i like it very much. Still i have some issues which i couldn't solve so far.

1) I installed kdemod (KDE 4.1) to check if this release is stable enough to work with. It seems to be ok, but still there are some annoyances:
* Kopete shows me a popupbox for incoming messages, but the "show" button doesn't work. I have to click on the kopete symbol in my taskbar to show the chat window.
* All the symbols in my taskbar produce visual errors. For example, when the kopete icon is animated, i see a mess because all animation images are shown at once. I guess it's some transparency problem.
* I can't change the order of my active windows in my window-switchlist. In gnome it's possible to drag'n'drop the window titles to reorder them.
* If i add shortcuts to programs they are shown on the right of my panel. How to transfer them to the left?
* How can i add additional panels?

2) I use ALT+F2 alot. But for about some hours, i can't get it to work anymore. I don't know what is changed right now. Compiz is enabled and i installed keytouch for my special hotkeys. But it worked a while with both programs. It seems to be deactivated for no reason and i can't figure out the problem.

3) Speaking of keytouch: The hotkeys work fine, but there is a weird thing. I can't use hotkeys twice. I have to press another one to use the first one again. So, for example, if i want to go to the next track in amarok i have to press "next", then another key (let's say "calculator"), and then "next" works again fine for a single use, and so on. Very annoying, what's the problem here?

But in general, i'm very pleased with Arch, it runs really fine and i like the minimalistic approach and maximum control.

Last edited by Alp (2008-09-27 13:50:38)

#2 2008-10-01 02:05:52

Alp

Re: Fresh Arch install: Experiencing some problems(hotkeys,kopete,taskbar)

Update: I switched from KDE to Gnome, which is much faster and more stable. So i don't have problems 1 and 2 anymore.
I solved point 3 by removing keytouch and using lineakd. See here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_Keyboard_Keys
In addition i switched the usb connectors of my mouse and my keyboard and i believe that helped too. But i'm not sure smile

Last edited by Alp (2008-10-01 02:06:45)

#3 2008-10-01 02:47:21

alanhaggai
Website

Re: Fresh Arch install: Experiencing some problems(hotkeys,kopete,taskbar)

As for the rearrangement of shortcuts in the panel, there are no ways yet to do that in KDE 4.1. I use KDE 3.5.9. Will upgrade to KDE 4.x only when it is stable enough.

The difference makes the difference.

Board footer