You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-27 20:21:06

pogeymanz

How to back up before compiling new kernel and NVIDIA drivers?

This should be pretty simple. I want to try the kernel26-zenmm-git package in AUR, then reinstall the nividia driver via instructions in the wiki.

I know this will fail. Everything I touch fails at least once. So what is the best way to back up my current kernel so that when my system doesn't boot, I just have to pop in a liveCD and move some files to get back to status quo?

(This is my main work machine, so I can't have it dead for a prolonged period of time)

#2 2008-09-28 00:00:48

somedrew

Re: How to back up before compiling new kernel and NVIDIA drivers?

Just make sure you give a different name to the kernel and the packages and you can safely have many installed in parallel. If the zenmm-git kernel doesn't boot, it's just a matter of selecting a working one from the bootloader.

cheers,

#3 2008-09-28 01:20:17

pogeymanz

somedrew wrote:

Just make sure you give a different name to the kernel and the packages and you can safely have many installed in parallel. If the zenmm-git kernel doesn't boot, it's just a matter of selecting a working one from the bootloader.

cheers,

Well, that makes a bunch of sense!

Will the new kernel automatically have a different name?

#4 2008-09-28 03:26:43

AD28

pogeymanz wrote:

Will the new kernel automatically have a different name?

Been a while since I've messed with kernel configs, but I think you change the "append to kernel release" option under general setup.

#5 2008-09-28 06:09:23

somedrew

After taking a look at the pkgbuild, everything is already setup using unique names so you're good to go without changing anything. If you are making your own pkgbuild for the nvidia drivers, all you have to do is ensure 1)they're built against the proper kernel, and 2)you use a unique name for the package. If you're using the appropriate nvidia package in AUR for the zenmm-git kernel you're already good to go.

cheers,

#6 2008-09-28 15:32:39

pogeymanz

So, I'll have two nvidia drivers. Do I then change my Xorg.conf to use "nvidia-new" instead of "nvidia" as the driver?

#7 2008-09-28 19:16:22

Lachkater

Nope just leave it. If X does not come up try startx and look for error messages like "can not insert module nvidia" or something like that.

#8 2008-09-28 22:52:57

broch
Banned

you can install nvidia drivers for all your kernels. This works without any problems. Only limitation is that you need to use one nvidia driver version for all kernels installed.

you can actually install nvidia drivers off line just after you build a new kernel, so when you reboot to the new kernel you will be greeted with your DE/WM

Board footer