You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-29 18:22:50

belbono

howto move virtual arch partitions to naive hdd

Hi,

I want to change my linux distribution to arch. To play around and for better troubleshooting I installed it into a VirtualBox guest.

Now I have this VBox virtual disk with three partitions and the question is, if I can make an image from it, using dd or so. I found the command VBoxManage convertdd, but I'm not sure if this could be helpful

The alternative could be I make this image directly in the guest system and move it to my host using the exchange folder.

next question is following: to use the installed system I need to copy the image to my physical harddrive. Logically this already contains data I don't want to loose, but I have some empty space on it.
Is it possible to copy the contents of the image (the three partitions) to this empty space on the hdd, without harming the existing partitions?

bel

#2 2008-10-01 06:18:53

darthaxul

Re: howto move virtual arch partitions to naive hdd

woa what ur trying to do is something I would never do. two reasons.
if the filesystem blocks are NOT the same...nothing works.
I never used virtual-thingy-box but im sure the hardware virtualization would mess up ur "real" install
I never used the arch partitioner but u would run the partitioner anyway because ur gonna have to if this is ur first linux install.

Board footer