You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-29 19:54:04

xcession
Website

Overlord question about UUID

Hello,
I want to know what is the adventage by switching to use UUID?
and how to use or how do i know my hd/flashmem UUID?

#2 2008-09-29 19:57:53

andre.ramaciotti

Re: Overlord question about UUID

If you add a new HDD, there is no chance that the new HDD will be recognized as the root and stop your from booting.

You can see your HDD's UUID running:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

(lambda ())

#3 2008-09-29 20:31:33

AD28

xcession wrote:

sidux has a nice UUID summary:

While Linux distributions and udev are evolving and hardware detection is becoming more reliable, there are also a number of new problems and changes:
1) If you have more than one sata/scsi or ide disk controller, the order in which they are added is random. This may result in device names like hdX and hdY switching around randomly on each boot. The same goes for sdX and sdY. Persistent naming allows you not to worry about this at all.
2) With the introduction of the new libata pata support, all your ide hdX devices will become sdX devices at some point in the future. Again, with persistent naming, you won't even notice.
3) Machines with both sata and ide controllers are quite common these days. With the libata changes mentioned above, the first problem will become even more common, as sata and ide hard drives will both have sdX names.

xcession wrote:

Like stated above, 'ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid' shows the symlinks.  All you have to do is change your /dev/* entries to the corresponding /dev/disk/by-uuid/* link.

#4 2008-09-29 22:00:01

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

AD28 wrote:
xcession wrote:

sidux has a nice UUID summary:

While Linux distributions and udev are evolving and hardware detection is becoming more reliable, there are also a number of new problems and changes:
1) If you have more than one sata/scsi or ide disk controller, the order in which they are added is random. This may result in device names like hdX and hdY switching around randomly on each boot. The same goes for sdX and sdY. Persistent naming allows you not to worry about this at all.
2) With the introduction of the new libata pata support, all your ide hdX devices will become sdX devices at some point in the future. Again, with persistent naming, you won't even notice.
3) Machines with both sata and ide controllers are quite common these days. With the libata changes mentioned above, the first problem will become even more common, as sata and ide hard drives will both have sdX names.

xcession wrote:

Like stated above, 'ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid' shows the symlinks.  All you have to do is change your /dev/* entries to the corresponding /dev/disk/by-uuid/* link.

Interesting. Looks like they copy and pasted that from the Arch wiki entry.

Why persistent naming?

While GNU/Linux distributions and udev are evolving and hardware detection is becoming more reliable, there are also a number of new problems and changes:

* If you have more than one sata/scsi or ide disk controller, the order in which they are added is random. This may result in device names like hdX and hdY switching around randomly on each boot. The same goes for sdX and sdY. Persistent naming allows you not to worry about this at all.
    * With the introduction of the new libata pata support, all your ide hdX devices will become sdX devices at some point in the future. Again, with persistent naming, you won't even notice.
    * Machines with both sata and ide controllers are quite common these days. With the libata changes mentioned above, the first problem will become even more common, as sata and ide hard drives will both have sdX names.
    * Persistent naming just looks prettier.

There are more reasons, but these are the most critical ones now and in the near future. That's why this wiki wants to encourage you to change your setup to persistent naming schemes.

#5 2008-09-29 22:08:32

moljac024

Misfit138 wrote:

Don't lie now, we know it was actually you who ripped off the sidux documentation. tongue

To the OP, your usage of Overlord in the thread title makes me wonder if you really understand what rolling release means.
Have a read here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … h_Linux.3F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-09-29 22:09:41)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#6 2008-09-29 22:24:12

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

moljac024 wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

Don't lie now, we know it was actually you who ripped off the sidux documentation. tongue

Ok, that does it, moljac!
Install Urban Terror so we can settle this FPS-madness-style!

#7 2008-09-29 23:47:06

sinister99

I was actually having problems with my drives being labeled differently, which obviously didn't work.  Switching to UUID fixed this.  Its a better way to go and not much work at all.  Especially useful if you are changing around your hard drives.

#8 2008-09-30 04:58:53

xcession
Website

got it... Thanks for the replies...

for moljac024, yes I understand... I state "Overlord" in the thread title because "Don't Panic" doesn't use the UUID out of the box like Overlord does... tongue

#9 2008-09-30 10:55:36

moljac024

I think the best idea would be to use labels instead of UUIDs.

Misfit138 wrote:
moljac024 wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

Ok, that does it, moljac!
Install Urban Terror so we can settle this FPS-madness-style!

Installed, now come so I can get some target practice!

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer