You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-29 23:21:38

colbert

Slow/sluggishness (likely HD reading) ??

My desktop box's specs are Q6600, 4gb ram, 2x500gb + 1x320gb (all are EXT3). Opening Firefox, OpenOffice, Gedit is slow and I can see the hard drive read light on my case go pretty solid the moment I try to open these for the first time. Say I open a spreadsheet, OO will take a good 6-10s to start. Just tested Firefox and it took 7 seconds and hard drive read light was solid again as it started up, and this is immediately after closing a running Firefox. Gedit took 6 seconds. (And the partitions with my root+home are on the 500GB with a 32MB cache even).

Now it may not seem long (and I hopefully aren't making it out to be something terrible hehe, it's not) but I don't think it's much to ask with these specs and a plain flux session things could be pretty much instant or at most 2-3 seconds, or is that wrong to expect? I genuinely don't know and would appreciate any help guys.

Here's all I have at startup (my ~/.fluxbox/startup):

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 &
nvidia-settings -a GlyphCache=1 &
thunar-volman &
sonata &
rainlendar &
timidity -iA -Os &
conky &
gnome-obex-server &
irexec &
urxvt &
xscreensaver &
xrdb ~/.Xdefaults &
blueman &

Logging into my flux session takes only 4 or 5 seconds so that isn't the issue, but just thought I'd share my startup in case alterations should be made. If I should change filesystems or something I'm totally open to it, whatever can get things faster. Or maybe I need to run some kind of scanning or fragmentation? No clue.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated smile

#2 2008-09-30 15:30:55

byte

Re: Slow/sluggishness (likely HD reading) ??

Do you use noatime in your mount options? Biggest single Linux performance tweak.

#3 2008-10-03 05:26:58

colbert

Re: Slow/sluggishness (likely HD reading) ??

Thanks byte, I have added that and rebooted. I have noticed a difference. Are there any other tweaks or settings?

Board footer