You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-01 17:05:11

coarseSand

VLC 0.9.3 in the repos now, but GIMP 2.6 just released

Commence irritation of the packagers! wink

I'll be patient this time around and grab it when it enters testing; VLC was in within 3 days so you're all doing an excellent job. Archers just love their bleeding edge software so much.

Anyways, once we get it, thoughts on the new GIMP? How's the GEGL implementation?

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#2 2008-10-01 17:39:11

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: VLC 0.9.3 in the repos now, but GIMP 2.6 just released

coarseSand wrote:

Anyways, once we get it, thoughts on the new GIMP? How's the GEGL implementation?

Only parts of GEGL are activated, and for the most part they have to be turned on explicitly. One thing is that GEGL operations are noticeably faster than the old algorithms. The interface changes aren't going to make the "why isn't GIMP Photoshop" crowd very happy; It's much closer to the old way (thanks GIMP devs! This is not sarcasm. I like GIMP's interface). This release has some conflicts with the Candido theme engine and will crash GIMP if the 'Default Image' preference dialog is launched. All in all it seems like a good release. I would have preferred that GEGL was more fully integrated, but the GIMP devs felt that it was necessary to have a more frequent release cycle.

--EDIT--

I have a question about the above bug. I believe that it's in the theme and not in GIMP, but does anyone think that I should file a report with GIMP to let them know this is happening?

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-01 18:02:58)

#3 2008-10-01 20:01:02

coarseSand

If it's exclusive to the Candido engine, probably not. I'll give it a try later myself, I know 2.4 crashed whenever it used small icons though.

I really excited about the new layouts. I've gotten used to GIMP's multi-window layout over time but concentrating all the toolboxes into a single area is a big improvement. I was really surprised to see 2.6 release today because I'd been expecting a much longer gap between 2.4 and 2.6, but a faster release cycle isn't a bad thing as long as GEGL eventually sees full implementation. The nodal editing descriptions I've heard are tremendous and will put the GIMP leagues ahead of Photoshop if it all works out.

#4 2008-10-01 20:11:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

The GIMP devs are trying to move to a six month release cycle. Since GIMP will become far more powerful than Photoshop is right now with integration of GEGL, adoption in industry will grow by leaps and bounds. The new release cycle will become increasing more important to stay ahead of the curve.

#5 2008-10-01 23:40:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

coarseSand wrote:

Commence irritation of the packagers! wink

*slap*!

woops!

#6 2008-10-02 00:34:23

Rulatir
Banned

The interface changes aren't going to make the "why isn't GIMP Photoshop" crowd very happy; It's much closer to the old way (thanks GIMP devs! This is not sarcasm. I like GIMP's interface).

"Crowd" who? The fact that you have a preference doesn't entitle you to call people who prefer the other thing "crowd". I prefer interfaces that obey, that just go away from view when i say MINIMIZE, and come back exactly as they were when I say RESTORE, and that can be maximized with one click, making 100% of the program's interface visible and foreground, and 100% of the other stuff hidden behind, AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT WITH THE FREAKIN' USUAL INTERFACE, NOT WITH THE DESKTOP SWITCHER!!!!!!!. This is my freakin' preference, and if you instead prefer an ADHD interface that plops separate, unconnected, getting-in-the-way-of-one-another windows all over the desktop, walls, floor, ceiling, and your neighbor's fence then that's just your freakin' preference that doesn't entitle you to diss people who have the other preference, got it? And before you ask, not even the fact that for the time being your faction seems to have the upper hand entitles you to that.

#7 2008-10-02 00:46:34

byte

Tacos?

#8 2008-10-02 00:53:15

Wintervenom

Rulatir wrote:

The interface changes aren't going to make the "why isn't GIMP Photoshop" crowd very happy; It's much closer to the old way (thanks GIMP devs! This is not sarcasm. I like GIMP's interface).

"Crowd" who? The fact that you have a preference doesn't entitle you to call people who prefer the other thing "crowd". I prefer interfaces that obey, that just go away from view when i say MINIMIZE, and come back exactly as they were when I say RESTORE, and that can be maximized with one click, making 100% of the program's interface visible and foreground, and 100% of the other stuff hidden behind, AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT WITH THE FREAKIN' USUAL INTERFACE, NOT WITH THE DESKTOP SWITCHER!!!!!!!. This is my freakin' preference, and if you instead prefer an ADHD interface that plops separate, unconnected, getting-in-the-way-of-one-another windows all over the desktop, walls, floor, ceiling, and your neighbor's fence then that's just your freakin' preference that doesn't entitle you to diss people who have the other preference, got it? And before you ask, not even the fact that for the time being your faction seems to have the upper hand entitles you to that.

If this were audio, I would be deaf now.  tongue

Last edited by Wintervenom (2008-10-02 00:53:39)

#9 2008-10-02 00:54:47

coarseSand

Rulatir: Flame wut? tl;dr, rage.

The interface acts just like Photoshop now if you alter it a bit, except dialogue boxes really need to iconify alongside the empty image window. Some workspace switching is still needed but fullscreen finally works well with dialogue boxes staying in the foreground above any image windows.

skottish: You may want to check your system because I'm running GNOME with the Candido regular theme, gtk-candido-engine and Gimp 2.6 (simple update of the PKGBUILD worked perfectly) and I'm not getting the Preferences/Default Image dialogue error you're describing. Everything is working seemingly fine for me.

#10 2008-10-02 01:01:10

rson451
Website

and if you instead prefer an ADHD interface that plops separate, unconnected, getting-in-the-way-of-one-another windows all over the desktop, walls, floor, ceiling, and your neighbor's fence

You've never used photoshop on a mac eh?  I completely agree with you about that being annoying, but I don't think the guy meant anything by saying crowd.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#11 2008-10-02 01:04:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

coarseSand wrote:

skottish: You may want to check your system because I'm running GNOME with the Candido regular theme, gtk-candido-engine and Gimp 2.6 (simple update of the PKGBUILD worked perfectly) and I'm not getting the Preferences/Default Image dialogue error you're describing. Everything is working seemingly fine for me.

Curious. I was able to reproduce it with all of the themes that I tried from the Candido engine. I'll try to rebuild and see if that helps.

Rulatir,

As coarseSand said, a lot of what you want is in GIMP, and it has been there for quite a while. Just take a look around the settings and see if it helps. If can't find what you need, come back and I'm sure someone has a setup similar to what you want.

byte wrote:

Tacos?

Hell yeah! When and where?

rson451 wrote:

You've never used photoshop on a mac eh?  I completely agree with you about that being annoying, but I don't think the guy meant anything by saying crowd.

It's an expression. And an opinion. I really don't think that the tone of the above post is reflective of Rulatir.

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-02 01:07:05)

#12 2008-10-02 02:11:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Rulatir wrote:

Well someone is getting overly emotional about a piece of software....  CALM DOWN! 

Read the forum etiquette page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette).  Posts like this are not acceptable on our forums.

#13 2008-10-02 02:11:57

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

byte wrote:

Tacos?

chicken tacos...
*drools*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#14 2008-10-02 02:39:17

coarseSand

Photoshop-y Layout, and the Candido engine showing the Default Image preferences.

screenshot-gnu_image_manipulation_program322.png.xs.jpg

#15 2008-10-02 02:52:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

No luck with the rebuild of Candido. I have a 129 line stack trace though. coarseSand, the Candido discussion is now here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56176

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-02 04:13:21)

#16 2008-10-02 03:19:02

Rulatir
Banned

Well someone is getting overly emotional about a piece of software....  CALM DOWN!

No, someone is getting justifiably emotional about being dissed for preferring a particular UI style.

Read the forum etiquette page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette).  Posts like this are not acceptable on our forums.

Etiquette-selectively-applied-schmette. Posts "like this" are not acceptable? Then please explain how is skottish's "Photoshop crowd" jab not "like this"? What makes that blatant diss OK? I'd really love to learn the trick. I could then insult skottish back without the risk of being lectured about etiquette.

#17 2008-10-02 04:01:17

Rulatir
Banned

coarseSand wrote:

Rulatir: Flame wut? tl;dr, rage.

The interface acts just like Photoshop now

Photoshop uses multiple top level windows? It has obligatorily non-dockable, non-collapsible toolboxes that neither move nor size with the main window and constantly get in the way? These are not rhetorical questions. I'm asking because I don't remember; I haven't touched Photoshop since about the Barcelona Summer Olympics. If the answers are "yes" then Photoshop UI is no standard to measure up to, which makes labels like "Photoshop crowd" the more annoying.

if you alter it a bit

Which translates to "if you know how to alter it a bit", which translates to "if you spend half a day googling and studying docs to learn how to alter it a bit, hoping that a particular alteration might be possible in the new version and eventually finding out that it isn't", and then "spend 2 min. altering GIMP a bit everytime you start it up", and "spend 30 sec. altering GIMP a bit everytime you resize/maximize/restore the main window". Completely unsatisfying.

except dialogue boxes really need to iconify alongside the empty image window.

... because they should be its children.

Some workspace switching is still needed

I will be happy with nothing else but no workspace switching whatsoever.

but fullscreen finally works well with dialogue boxes staying in the foreground above any image windows.

... and you still have to reposition them manually so they are not in the way of your work. This is just one "where's that dialog's button on the taskbar" operation less, but the bulk of the hassle remains. They should not be "in the foreground above". They should be "at the same ground together", and their position and size, not just iconfied state, should be managed by the main window. Oh, and there should be a checkbox somewhere in the preferences to make the "why isn't GIMP more like xfree86-stress-test" crowd happy too.

Last edited by Rulatir (2008-10-02 04:05:43)

#18 2008-10-02 04:05:00

jb

I'd like to point out that there was an effort to rework the gimp interface, and it was looked at with near-complete indifference.  That's not meant to be a dig at the authors of gimpshop, just pointing out that even with availability of a PS-like gimp interface, the userbase kept with the normal one.

#19 2008-10-02 04:13:05

Allan
Pacman
Website

Rulatir wrote:

No, someone is getting justifiably emotional about being dissed for preferring a particular UI style.

Yes, because you were picked out of the crowd and told you were and idiot for like a different interface </sarcasm>.  I really see very little that is justifiable about this...

Rulatir wrote:

Etiquette-selectively-applied-schmette. Posts "like this" are not acceptable? Then please explain how is skottish's "Photoshop crowd" jab not "like this"? What makes that blatant diss OK? I'd really love to learn the trick. I could then insult skottish back without the risk of being lectured about etiquette.

skottish only said

skottish wrote:

The interface changes aren't going to make the "why isn't GIMP Photoshop" crowd very happy

It is just pointing out a fact.  The interface has move further away from photoshop.  He says he personally like the GIMP interface but does not say those who don't are wrong.  That is not a jab as far as I can see.

#20 2008-10-02 04:17:29

Allan
Pacman
Website

I am going to close this thread.  The only useful discussion here has ended up in its own thread already.

Edit:  If you want to help skottish with his candido problem go to this post: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56176 .  Off-topic posts in that thread will be deleted and result in punishments.

Board footer