You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-02 12:42:47

Auax

Browsers Freeze While Scrolling

Whether I use Epiphany or Firefox, whenever I'm scrolling on a page (using mouse or keyboard) it will freeze up about every half page for about 2 seconds. I'm not sure if it's only an issue with compiz fusion though, I'm about to test that. But either way I'd like to find out why and make it stop.

Edit: It IS an issue with Compiz, I logged into a regular gnome session and I'm having no problems.

Last edited by Auax (2008-10-02 12:47:16)

#2 2008-10-02 13:08:56

mrunion
Website

Re: Browsers Freeze While Scrolling

Don't know if this will help but I turn OFF smooth scrolling in Firefox in Fusion and it helps.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2008-10-02 13:26:30

Auax

You just reminded me I had this same problem when I first tried out Ubuntu and that fixed it... I'll give it a try when I log back into a Compiz Session.

Edit: nope, it was already off. Turning it on made the problem worse.

Last edited by Auax (2008-10-02 13:54:32)

#4 2008-10-02 14:16:14

Auax

An addition: It's not just with browsers, scrolling in anything causes freezes.

#5 2008-10-02 17:36:08

toxygen

Auax wrote:

have you checked your processes?  I had massive slowdowns with fam running ("/etc/rc.d/fam stop" was a quick fix for me, but some file managers require it running, i think there's an alternative to fam listed in the wiki).

also, is there a lot of disk activity going on when you browse?  Please post your system setup (cpu/ram/etc).

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#6 2008-10-03 18:10:43

Auax

toxygen wrote:
Auax wrote:

have you checked your processes?  I had massive slowdowns with fam running ("/etc/rc.d/fam stop" was a quick fix for me, but some file managers require it running, i think there's an alternative to fam listed in the wiki).

also, is there a lot of disk activity going on when you browse?  Please post your system setup (cpu/ram/etc).

My cpu load jumps up to near 100% when the freeze happens, but the only process that shows an increase is the program I'm scrolling in (firefox, nautilus).

No, there's no increase in disk activity, but ram usage goes up. Also, when I have firefox(Gran Paradiso) or Nautilus open, X randomly freezes every couple minutes for up to 20 seconds.

CPU: AMD Turion 64 2.0GHz
RAM: 1024MB (128MB Allocated to onboard video)
Video: ATi Radeon X1100 Pro (Using fglrx, not open source)
I'm using the 64 bit kernel.

Also, I thought this was worth mentioning... Before I had Arch installed, I had Vista, and it would randomly freeze and the hard drive would show a lot of activity. However I'm not sure if it's related since this only happens when I'm using Compiz-Fusion, and the hard drive light doesn't show any activity during.

Last edited by Auax (2008-10-03 18:11:20)

Board footer