You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-03 06:02:16

dav7

rdesktop + sound = no go

I have a friend who incessantly uses Windows, so rather than try and shove Linux at him, I just go with the flow. Well, it's more that I've given up. tongue

Anyway, since he uses Windows, I typically use Remote Desktop to connect to his system, and have a couple of times tried to forward sound over the connection but it simply hasn't worked. I recently wanted to run something and needed (well, really wanted) to forward sound over the link, but none of

rdesktop ... -r sound:local
rdesktop ... -r sound:local:alsa
rdesktop ... -r sound:local:oss   # even with everything else that might possibly use sound closed...
rdesktop ... -r sound:local:libao
rdesktop ... -r sound:remote     # for the lulz, and no, it didn't work

Then I got inspired by google: WINE + mstsc.exe. Thanks to my "NEVAR DELETE ANYTHYNG!!! ALL FILEZ ARE IMPORTANT!!!" rule I have the remains of an old XP install buried in a heap inside a mound on my server, so fished mstsc.exe out of that, and... no go. "wine mstsc.exe" works but I can't click on the neccessary tab to enable sound - this segfaults WINE. "Simple, just create an .rdp file on the Windows machine and copy it (over the clipboard) to here, then run it," I thought, but no go. Without going into the details, as I go along I'm copying across various DLLs from the old XP installation that mstsc is complaining about not having or WINE is mentioning when it segfaults, until I get to one last DLL, winscard.dll, which WINE says is missing "SCardAddReaderToGroupA", and strings + grep say otherwise about.

In a last ditch attempt to JUST MAKE THE THING WORK, I jump onto my server with ssh -XY (X forwarding, heheheh), cd to .wine/drive_c/, rename the "windows" folder to "windows_", and symlink my real backed up XP install to "windows". Yeah, amazingly, the server didn't catch fire big_smile BUT WINE STILL COMPLAINED ABOUT WINSCARD.DLL. Bug? hmm

At any rate, sound forwarding refuses to work. Help? neutral

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2008-10-03 15:53:31

dav7

Re: rdesktop + sound = no go

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

Board footer