You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-03 17:06:27

MicrosoftSam

Stopping OSS causes kernel panic

After installing and getting OSS4 to work I've discovered that it somehow causes a kernel panic as soon as it is stopped. Here are some scenarios:

I shut down the system through xfce4 - xfce stops, but I then get the panic message as OSS tries to stop before the system turns off.

I close xfce4 and turn off the system with the command line - I get the kernel panic.

I try to stop OSS manually by typing '/etc/rc.d/oss-linux-free stop' in the xfce4 terminal - everything freezes and I can't do anything.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

#2 2008-10-03 17:20:23

Dheart

Re: Stopping OSS causes kernel panic

Any hints in /var/log/error.log or kernel.log?

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2008-10-03 17:27:12

perbh

he he - I seem to have seen most of the problems at one point or another.
a levono thinkpad t61 but running the latest centos-4.7 (sorry guys - it's work-related)
I would get a kernel panic at each shutdown (and it was always when closing the sound-modules - got a NULL-pointer) - in the end I just prevented any sound-modules from being loaded, they didn't work anyway (no driver in default repo's). In this case it was no biggie anyway, but in 'normal' use it's a bummer when you cant get the sound to work. With all due respect - but linux+sound is some sort of black magic.

#4 2008-10-05 00:15:36

afonic

OSS is a zombie and Alsa used their black magic tricks to get rid of it. Follow them.

On the topic, maybe you have to compile the kernel with OSS support? I know it should *not* supposed to need it to work but it never hurts trying.

Your source for video guides!
My Linux reviews.
Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.5GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

#5 2008-10-05 04:26:27

Dheart

afonic wrote:

OSS is a zombie and Alsa used their black magic tricks to get rid of it. Follow them.

On the topic, maybe you have to compile the kernel with OSS support? I know it should *not* supposed to need it to work but it never hurts trying.

You're talking about oss 3.8. Oss4 is different... read this...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

Board footer