You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-05 11:48:15

xlasttrainhomex

Need some help with WM and gkt configuration

Hello everybody.

I've installed Arch Linux few days ago and currently I'm having a problem with gtk apps. It's the classic problem that they look ugly under fluxbox, my WM. I've tried to put this on ~/.xinitrc:

exec fluxbox
# load this to have gtk2 apps look ok
GSDPID=`pidof gnome-settings-daemon`
if [  "x$GSDPID" == "x" ]; then
  gnome-settings-daemon &
fi

or:

# load this to have gtk2 apps look ok
GSDPID=`pidof gnome-settings-daemon`
if [  "x$GSDPID" == "x" ]; then
  gnome-settings-daemon &
fi
exec fluxbox

And nothing happened. I'm sure it's an easy issue to solve, but I'm stuck here with this. Thank you for reading and thank you for your help.

EDIT: I still have some time to lose on my laptop so can you recomend me which minimalist WM is better??

Last edited by xlasttrainhomex (2008-10-05 11:49:15)

[img]http://www.cilyan.org/misc/ubars/ArchLinuxUserBar4.png[/img]

#2 2008-10-05 14:18:26

dav7

Re: Need some help with WM and gkt configuration

I highly recommend Openbox. It doesn't provide you a panel like Fluxbox does, so you'll need to find yourself a panel - if you're lost for choice I can recommend tint2 and bmpanel as starters.

Anyway, Openbox has session configurations for both GNOME and KDE, meaning that while GNOME will be sitting under all your applications, will try to manage your desktop, will try to launch panels, etc etc etc, Openbox will be managing your windows, and you can turn off whatever you don't want anyway - I have a highly configured, customized Openbox setup that gives me no indication except in my process listing that I'm using the GNOME session manager: the splash is disabled, Nautilus doesn't try to manage my desktop, I have no GNOME panels, and so on.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-10-05 14:53:32

xlasttrainhomex

Re: Need some help with WM and gkt configuration

dav7 wrote:

I highly recommend Openbox. It doesn't provide you a panel like Fluxbox does, so you'll need to find yourself a panel - if you're lost for choice I can recommend tint2 and bmpanel as starters.-dav7

Thank you dav7! I switched to openbox and with lxappearance I solved this issue. Now I'm currently searching for a good conky script to show my laptop's battery. I'm a complete newbie to *box WM but I'm quite impressed with their simplicity.

Cheers.

[img]http://www.cilyan.org/misc/ubars/ArchLinuxUserBar4.png[/img]

Board footer