You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-05 18:34:17

cjpembo

Lenovo Thinkpad USB issues

If anyone is having issues with their Thinkpad or Lenovo series USB ports (I do), you may want to check out the following links.  Seems as though Lenovo has problems with both underpowered and defective USB ports (some claim southbridge failure): 

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/mess … ing&page=1

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_USB_2.0

The following error will show up in dmesg output:

unable to enumerate usb device on port

When I purchased my Lenovo notebook 18 months ago, I soon noticed that my USB mouse had issues: it would "stutter" over the screen on occasion like it was disconnecting and reconnecting.  I thought it was just a cheap laser mouse acting up; so I discarded the mouse and used the trackpad.  I spoke to Lenovo tech support and they said that Vista drivers were the problem.  They assured me that there was nothing they were responsible for that could cause the problem...

So I installed linux and just used the trackpad for 18 months.  Tried a USB quickcam today, for Skype.  Looks like I should have been more persistant with Lenovo to take a look at my machine.  Vista drivers my as*.  The USB ports were defective from day one.  Of course, warranty is gone.  Once again, screwed by Lenovo.  If you are having trouble with your Lenovo's USB ports , please join the Lenovo fourm and report your (common) issues.  And when they tell you to use an external powered hub or just unload the USB 2.0 drivers and just run at 1.1 speed; tell them what you think.  Thinkpads will continue to diminish in quality if we never hold Leovo to the highest standard.

I realize that some of you may be tired of my posting my Lenovo quality issues on the forum.  My intent is to give you a heads-up before you're out of warranty, and like me, out of luck.

Chris

#2 2008-10-05 21:20:23

coda

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad USB issues

Could it be a bios issue?

When I bought my x61 I updated the bios from 1.06 to 2.14 and remember reading this >>>

Version 7NETA6WW (2.06)

(Fix) Unexpected interrupts from the USB controller may occur. (BIOS)

taken from here >>>

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. … MIGR-67983

Just thought I'd mention it.

#3 2008-10-06 02:08:54

cjpembo

I'm all up to date w/r/t BIOS on this Lenovo 3000 N100 model, so I'm probably just out of luck like the rest of the Lenovo users.  One of the updated BIOSs contained a USB fix; no luck.  There are some who blame the southbridge, some blame a bug where resuming from sleep via mouse motion bricks the usb ports (several users reported this).  Whatever the case, this is strike three for me.  Looks like I'll have to get a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card.  It's too bad as this will certainly diminish my battery life keeping a PCMCIA card hot. 

Perhaps I'll just put it on Craiglist and move on.  Hint: don't buy a used Lenovo on Craiglist anytime soon...:D

Thanks for the info though.

Chris

#4 2008-10-08 17:39:51

cjpembo

Can anyone recommend a good PCMCIA USB 2.0 card based on first hand experience?  Linux compatible of course.  I see many choices at places like newegg and such.  A quick google search suggests that not all cards are created equal; some claiming 2.0 fall back to 1.1 speeds. 

I've been looking into the 1.1 and 2.0 usb kerner driver options; trying to setup maximum power on my usb ports.  No luck; devices still connect and reconnect every few seconds.  Even items drawing as little current as a USB mouse.  So PCMCIA is my last option.  Of couse this assumes that Lenovo didn't underpower the PCMCIA slot on my machine as well.:(

Thanks

Board footer