You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-05 21:06:59

ahunavairya

Audio mess...

I'm beginning to feel stupid posting all of these problems but I suppose it's necessary hmm
Somehow my audio stuff has become totally totally messed up. Due to generally dislike of alsa and the libao/alsa mpd CPU usage bug, I started messing around with stuff. I installed pulseaudio and stuff but i got rid of it after about 20 minutes because I felt it was unnecessary, so I decided to just use OSS4 after reading good stuff about it. I had oss already installed but after removing pulse and adding oss to /etc/rc.conf a bunch of alsa stuff has completely disappeared off my computer due to it still being installed, giving me things like this;

$ alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
and failed module module messages at boot like FATAL: no soundcore or something

If I'm going to use oss that probably doesn't matter I know, but when adjusting the master volume with OSS there's this crackling noise, or if i adjust it rapidly this weird squeaky frequency for a sec. Also when the OSS module starts my speakers pop a little and the squeak happens. Also I'm getting no sound from browsers now, and it's all very frustrating. I really don't know much (yet) about audio in *nix stuff and I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Last edited by ahunavairya (2008-10-05 21:08:44)

خيام اگر ز باده مستى خوش باش
با ماه رخى اگر نشستى خوش باش
چون عاقبت كار جهان نيستى است
انگار كه نيستى، چو هستى خوش باش

#2 2008-10-05 22:07:36

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Audio mess...

check you /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc and stuff for references to pulseaudio stuff

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2008-10-05 22:20:49

ahunavairya

neither have any pulseaudio references.

#4 2008-10-05 23:12:35

brebs

OSS4 deletes its competition - the ALSA module files. Which is a ridiculously "unfriendly" thing to do.

You should be concentrating on getting ALSA to work. Check the ALSA bugzilla, for example.

Reinstall the kernel, to get the ALSA modules back.

#5 2008-10-06 00:43:12

ahunavairya

Ok thank you, that will help cleaning up the boot mess, but what about fixing the OSS4 stuff like the crackling and browser sound?

#6 2008-10-06 04:13:11

freakcode
Website

Tip for pretty much any audio driver you choose, be it ALSA or OSS:

Be sure to mute all the channels you are not using (mic, aux, and any other not directly related to master, pcm, or something you always use). Noises are common on onboard and/or low quality soundcards, they always output some noise from lack of correct grounding on mic/aux lines or interferences.

Sometimes people get noisy output, post about it in a Linux forum, and geeks promptly shows their personal opinion in ALSA, OSS, PulseAudio, whatever... when the issue is not even software related.

#7 2008-10-06 04:53:56

ahunavairya

Ok, thanks i'll try muting stuff, hopefully i'll get a new soundcard(and video card for that matter) soon though.
On the subject of OSS, I did a different arch install and on this one it says oss package is not found in sync db hmm

pacman is also giving a lot of errors certain mirrors...

edit: I got it to work by switching to a different mirror but that's still odd behavior, anyone else noticed something like that?

Last edited by ahunavairya (2008-10-06 08:58:00)

#8 2008-10-07 18:48:31

ChoK

When you speak about having no sound in your browser, is it flash?

On x86_64, users of firefox and other xulrunner based browser, had to use the 32 bits version of flash to get it working
Try updating flash for a start

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer