You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-06 23:37:04

Convergence

original NWN game maxing cpu?

Yes my computer is getting older, and I may be forced to upgrade soon, but it seems strange to me that Neverwinter nights eats up 100% of my CPU.  I have no performance issues, I just get concerned about my system overheating, so I have to take frequent breaks.  The CPU temp gets up to just above 50c after about half an hour of play.

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
1 gig memory
GeForce 7600 GT 512

Last edited by Convergence (2008-10-06 23:49:59)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2008-10-07 03:37:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: original NWN game maxing cpu?

As i recall the linux version of NWN had some odd issue with excessive gettimeofday calls on some systems (gblic and cpu hardware combinations). It was weird. Anyway, it used to regularly eat 100% cpu even on the standalone server. I bet that is what you are experiencing as well.

You could try searching the bioware forums for posts on the issue. Probably a better chance of getting results there than here...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2008-10-07 04:35:10

Convergence

Thanks, Cactus.  I'll do that

---  William Murderface

#4 2008-10-07 06:56:45

klixon

It's an old game... I think it doesn't make as much use of hardware acceleration on video-cards as current game. Same thing happens to me when i play regnum online. Haven't had a problem with running both games for several hours in a row.

If you're worried about overheating your processor, buy a better cooler wink

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#5 2008-10-07 18:35:21

ChoK

Do you use hakpaks by any chance?
My computer was unusable with the Player Resource Consortium for example.

Try running the game with just Bioware patch to see if it's not that kind of issue

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2008-10-09 02:20:20

Convergence

klixon:  Do you think I can get away with putting a bigger fan on the heatsink?  Or do you think I would completely have to remove it?  If I do that, I'd rather just put a faster processor in it.  Of course if I do that, I'll, I'll probably be tempted to just get a new mobo and power supply, because i would really like PCI-E, oh, and whats the point of PCI-E if my graphics card is still AGP?  So I'll have to get a ....  LOL

Chok:  No hakpaks.  I don't even know what they are.  Important?

---  William Murderface

#7 2008-10-09 03:46:03

Fade

55 degrees doesn't sound that hot for an Athlon. Weren't they good up to 70-80 degrees? Are you getting any sort of instability Convergance? That will be a giveaway that the CPU is too hot. Does your CPU get any hotter if you play for another 15 minutes or so?

#8 2008-10-09 11:54:10

ChoK

hakpak adds new contents to a neverwinter module, like new models for characters, buildings environment, horses etc ...
The player resource consortium for example adds 100+ classes, 100+ spells, psionics, truenaming and much more

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#9 2008-10-09 14:07:32

AD28

Yes the XP series ran notoriously hot.. actually 50C at full load seems pretty low to me unless you replaced the stock heatsink.  My XP 3000+ (stock speed/heatsink/fan) runs at ~48C idle.  That includes ocz freeze with two extra 80mm fans blowing through it and the 120mm psu fan exhausting it.

#10 2008-10-14 23:47:39

Convergence

No, i don't have any hackpacks, haven't even done everything i want to in the single player games that I have (it's a lot of game!)

I have the stock cooler on my CPU, but I think that since it is not OEM, it comes wit a better cooler.  Average idle would be 35 to 40 degrees depending on the weather, and if I'd cleaned it out recently.  It is good to know that it can handle temps up to 70c.  As far as instability, I think that it DOES reset my computer if I leave the game paused for extended periods of time.  I always make sure to shut the game right away if i'm not going to be at my computer now.

I was reading elsewhere that if the gpu far outclasses the CPU, that it could put extra load on the cpu.  It sounds kinda backwards, but maybe they have a point.  Oh well, for now, I guess it's a problem that I can live with.

---  William Murderface

Board footer