You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-07 16:34:59

Vladislav IV

[SOLVED] Mixed CD imaging : how to create BIN/CUE ?

Hi all !

I'm trying to make images from some old PC games, old enough to have audio tracks... It's easy to do this with cdrdao, but I want to use those images under Windows, with Daemon Tools, and it doesn't read .toc files. Plus, toc2cue is not able to make working .cue files :

[...] if the toc-file contains audio tracks the byte order of the image file will be wrong. This will result in static noise when the cue file is used for recording (even with cdrdao(1) itself).

(http://www.digipedia.pl/man/toc2cue.1.html)

I experienced this, and cdrdao's toc files are even refused by other converters (I tried cueconvert : syntax error in toc file).

I found a program for Windows (DDump) which does the job, but I don't really want to reboot each time I have to copy a mixed cd. Anyway, I want to understand. I searched the Web like a crazy, I have a leg through the window, ready to suicide, as everybody talks about "how to burn bin/cue", but nobody about "how to make a working bin/cue" ! As if nobody ever creates this kind of images ! They appear from nowhere, *poof* !

So, I ask : does anybody know how to make a bin/cue image from a mixed cd under Linux, with working audio tracks ?

NB : I wanted to try Brasero, but a new bug makes it unusable.

Last edited by Vladislav IV (2008-10-08 16:03:42)

#2 2008-10-07 20:42:06

Rasi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Mixed CD imaging : how to create BIN/CUE ?

Vladislav IV wrote:

Hi all !

I'm trying to make images from some old PC games, old enough to have audio tracks... It's easy to do this with cdrdao, but I want to use those images under Windows, with Daemon Tools, and it doesn't read .toc files. Plus, toc2cue is not able to make working .cue files :

[...] if the toc-file contains audio tracks the byte order of the image file will be wrong. This will result in static noise when the cue file is used for recording (even with cdrdao(1) itself).

(http://www.digipedia.pl/man/toc2cue.1.html)

I experienced this, and cdrdao's toc files are even refused by other converters (I tried cueconvert : syntax error in toc file).

I found a program for Windows (DDump) which does the job, but I don't really want to reboot each time I have to copy a mixed cd. Anyway, I want to understand. I searched the Web like a crazy, I have a leg through the window, ready to suicide, as everybody talks about "how to burn bin/cue", but nobody about "how to make a working bin/cue" ! As if nobody ever creates this kind of images ! They appear from nowhere, *poof* !

So, I ask : does anybody know how to make a bin/cue image from a mixed cd under Linux, with working audio tracks ?

NB : I wanted to try Brasero, but a new bug makes it unusable.

rubyripper can rip to bin/cue

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2008-10-08 11:00:50

Vladislav IV

Rasi wrote:

rubyripper can rip to bin/cue

I just tried it : it don't seems to work with the data track... It just don't start the job (fixed at 0%).

I also managed to get brasero working, but it uses cdrdao and toc2cue, so the problem remains :'-(

#4 2008-10-08 11:08:06

Rasi
Website

Sorry i didnt really read the whole post... of course rubyripper will only rip the audio data....

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2008-10-08 12:05:47

Vladislav IV

It seems that using Windows (even in a VM) is a working walk-around, and the only solution I found. Or maybe Nero for Linux. I leave the problem opened, as the question remains unanswered.

Last edited by Vladislav IV (2008-10-08 16:03:09)

#6 2008-10-08 14:53:20

Vladislav IV

Hop hop hop ! Just found this : http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet

In order to produce a CUE/BIN pair with Linux use the commands
> cdrdao read-cd --datafile image.bin --driver generic-mmc:0x20000 --device /dev/cdrom --read-raw image.toc
> toc2cue image.toc image.cue
The option --driver generic-mmc:0x20000 takes care of the correct byte order. Omitting it would lead to noise instead of music.

Seems it should solve the sound tracks problem. I'm trying this syntax right now.
Don't know why I haven't checked DOSBox site.

Edit : it works !! smile

Last edited by Vladislav IV (2008-10-08 16:02:54)

Board footer