You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 02:28:08

nan

MP3 ID3 tags in non standard character set

Hello,

I'm curious as to how I can rip a cd as mp3 and read the tags that have been encoded in a non western or unicode character set. Right now I'm using the LANG environment variable and setting it to the locale that matches the character set, ripping the songs, and then writing the tags using easytag as unicode before resetting the LANG variable. This is fine, but it gets annoying as once I change the language a lot of my programs also start using that language and I would like them to remain english.

Is there a simpler and more straight-forward way of doing this?

--Nan

#2 2008-10-08 03:23:39

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: MP3 ID3 tags in non standard character set

nan wrote:

Hello,

I'm curious as to how I can rip a cd as mp3 and read the tags that have been encoded in a non western or unicode character set. Right now I'm using the LANG environment variable and setting it to the locale that matches the character set, ripping the songs, and then writing the tags using easytag as unicode before resetting the LANG variable. This is fine, but it gets annoying as once I change the language a lot of my programs also start using that language and I would like them to remain english.

Is there a simpler and more straight-forward way of doing this?

--Nan

Just guessing, but what if you only set LC_CTYPE to whatever language you need?

#3 2008-10-08 04:14:38

nan

Re: MP3 ID3 tags in non standard character set

Unfortunately that seems to have the same effect as changing LANG.

Board footer