You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 11:40:42

mclabaut

jackd for multi user

Does somebody knows how to use jack for several users ?

I'm of course unable to start two jackd under differents uid.
I'm unable to start it as root (and I read it was designed to be run by the user)
I've read in the faq that if a client can not connect it is probably because it has not the same uid than jackd...

So is jackd designed for a single person usage (but I can imagine that, we are in 2008 on linux), or is there another way ?
It appears that I'm not alone  at home, and even X allows several instances from different users on the same computer.

Thank you in advance for any tip.

#2 2008-10-08 15:58:38

btartsa

Re: jackd for multi user

Maybe I'm missing something here, but *why* would you want to do this? Describe the situation that makes this necessary.

Jack *can* be run as root, but it's not needed. Will jack not start as root for you? Start it in a terminal and post the error if so.

I assume attempting to start jack in more than on instance will report something like   "failed to create alsa driver, hw0 in use" which is correct because it is bound to the alsa driver.

#3 2008-10-09 08:20:37

mclabaut

Re: jackd for multi user

I do want to do this, because we are several people using the computer. A typical scenario is :
- The computer boot.
- MPD is started (uid=mpd), and music is played.
- I log on the computer, and do some work, and give a try to rosegarden, the computer being connected to a synthetizer.
- I'm going to prepare the lunch and my girl open its won X session to play some games (with sound)
- My girlfriend ask for the seat and open a new session to edit some files, or browse internet...
So in the final, there may be 5 differents user needing access to the sound card, even if not producing sound simultaneously, the software client are still connected to the sound daemon.

Until recently I was using pulseaudio, which was very nice, but has the drawback of not being supported by rosegarden and some others sound related software.
Seeing that pulseaudio may be able to play well with jackd, I decided to try it but failed.

When launching jackd as root, it says:

# jackd -R -d alsa
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
/dev/shm/jack-0 already exists, but is not a directory!

cannot create server sockets
cannot create engine

I've added the pam_limits.so to /etc/pam.d/su, which worked well for normal users, but does nothing for root.

Anyway, thank you very much for your interest in my problem.
-mathieu

Board footer