You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 16:27:47

Hide

wmii bar and button questions

I've been trying to migrate to a tiling wm, but kept being put off by this and that... 'till now smile. My WM of choise is wmii. However, i've got some questions:

1. I'm too used do minimizing to tray (since emesene and xchat notify by the blinking icon). Is there something i can do about this?

2. How can i redefine the "hjkl" keys to an appropriate arrow button?

3. Every time i open an app, and a gui app (say firefox) was previously open, the content of the first app gets scrolled upwards. For example, if scroll bar is on the bottom, it moves to the middle right after i open that other app. I hope you get what i mean smile

Other than this, it rules! smile

Thanks in advance smile

#2 2008-10-08 17:10:06

moljac024

Re: wmii bar and button questions

Well, I don't know much about wmii since I have only used it for 5 minutes total but:

1. I use trayer with Xmonad. Should work for wmii too.
Although you will need to find a way to tell wmii to avoid the area where trayer is, either by specifying some gaps or by telling it to respect the partial strut hint.
Xmonad can do both of these, but I'm not sure about wmii.

2. Why would you remap those ? Try running "vimtutor" wink

3. Don't understand this one, sorry.

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-10-08 17:11:07)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-10-08 17:44:33

Hide

1. I saw people mentioning trayer around the web, but i didn't understand the way it's supposed to work.

2. You'll get online once tongue.
No, seriously, i already figured out the way it goes, it's just... arrow keys are more natural for me, plus, some other terminal apps are bound to these, so it's kinda hard to switch all the time smile

#4 2008-10-09 21:50:36

Hide

1. Trayer won't fly. Simply because wmii recognizes it as an application and automatically assigns it a window border.

2. Yep, arrow keys are defined, but are already used in the combination with $MODKEY. I don't want to bother, i'll stick to "vim" tradition.

3. ...

#5 2008-10-09 22:07:32

moljac024

You've tried trayer with --SetDockType true --SetPartialStrut true ?

Interesting how all the wmii users are quiet now...

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-10-09 22:08:44)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer