Forum Fellow

Re: Powerpill - A wrapper and download accelerator for Pacman

Xyne wrote:

@ngoonee

$ pacman -Qi bauerbill
Optional Deps  : perl-crypt-ssleay: for reflector support

$pacman -Qi reflector
Depends On     : perl  perl-xyne-arch  perl-crypt-ssleay

Obviously you removed perl-crypt-ssleay when you removed reflector.

Ah that's it then smile. Have the habit of -Rsn. Wish there was some way to mark package A as being an optdep (and hence not removed by -Rsn) of package B.

Thanks.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#353 2010-07-30 18:59:36

falconindy
Developer
Website

Noticing some inconsistant behavior between pacman and powerpill:

$ pacman -Sgq base-devel
gcc
autoconf
automake
bin86
bison
ed
fakeroot
flex
gcc
libtool
m4
make
patch
pkg-config

$ powerpill -Sgq base-devel
error: no write permissions to any of the following cache directories:
    /var/cache/pacman/pkg

Feature? Bug?

#354 2010-07-31 05:49:19

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

falconindy wrote:

Feature? Bug?

Bug -> Fixed smile

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#355 2010-07-31 15:23:05

falconindy
Developer
Website

Awesome, thanks!

Another one for you? When using powerpill as pacman in makepkg, it trips over versioned dependencies in the form of (foo>=1.23) and interprets the > as redirection. A quoting issues in passing args to pacman, perhaps? jumanji-git is a good test candidate for this...

$ PACMAN=/usr/bin/powerpill makepkg
... MAGIC!!! ...
==> Finished making: jumanji-git 20100731-1 (Sat Jul 31 11:16:21 EDT 2010)
$ ls
pkg  src  =1.1.6  =1.2.1  =2.18.6  =2.30.2  PKGBUILD  jumanji-git-20100731-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

Can rule out the setting of PACMAN itself being an issue, as using e.g. PACMAN=/usr/bin/pacman-git doesn't show this issue.

#356 2010-08-01 01:44:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Install the latest version of perl-xyne-arch from my site and let me know if everything works as expected. It should be fixed but I want to wait a bit before uploading it to [community] because I made several changes and may have introduced new bugs.

#357 2010-08-01 03:57:11

falconindy
Developer
Website

Works as expected! I'll keep using it and let you know if I find anything odd.

#358 2010-08-06 03:05:13

falconindy
Developer
Website

Ran into another oops...

$ PACMAN=/usr/bin/powerpill makepkg -sr
==> Making package: lirc 0.8.6-5 (Thu Aug  5 23:05:40 EDT 2010)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
error: lirc-utils=0.8.6 does not match any package or group
==> ERROR: '/usr/bin/powerpill' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> WARNING: Failed to remove installed dependencies.

#359 2010-08-06 11:00:09

dt

Thx for the great program wink
I just wanted to know, if I can get powerpill to get the deltas from archdelta.net first and then do its normal job aquiring the rest of the packages, which werent available or where the process of applying the deltas failed.

#360 2010-08-06 14:20:55

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@falconindy
fixed

@dt
It's not possible at the moment but I'll look into adding delta support when I have the time. It should be possible to add it to the same section that checks for PkgD servers before the regular download, but I need to give it some thought and then play around with the code. Delta servers will eventually need to be specified in a separate list too. (I'm mostly making notes for myself here.)

#361 2010-10-06 12:49:28

falconindy
Developer
Website

Latest changes to perl-xyne-arch seem to have debug-ish output left in. Is this intentional? Every time powerpill is run, a message sneaks in such as:

--> Switching to pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' '-S' -'u'

It's not usually getting in my way, except that it causes makepkg to explode because this text is getting passed to pacman (in addition to the deptest).

#362 2010-10-06 13:04:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I had left it there because I've found it useful in bauerbill. I've removed it for now.

#363 2010-11-02 19:16:40

SoleSoul

Congratulations for the warm comments powerpill got on Linux Action Show arch review.

#364 2010-11-02 23:46:10

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

SoleSoul wrote:

Congratulations for the warm comments powerpill got on Linux Action Show arch review.

I was unaware of that. Thanks.

*heads off to find a link*

#365 2010-11-03 00:13:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

The review said this was for parallel downloads _and_ installs.  It is just downloads right?

#366 2010-11-03 00:14:14

wonder
Developer
Website

Xyne wrote:
SoleSoul wrote:

I was unaware of that. Thanks.

*heads off to find a link*

OMG OMG OMG

you don't read our planet/my blog

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#367 2010-11-03 00:23:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Allan wrote:

The review said this was for parallel downloads _and_ installs.  It is just downloads right?

Yeah. Once all of the packages are in the cache, it invokes pacman for the installation.

wonder wrote:

OMG OMG OMG

you don't read our planet/my blog

I saw it but I haven't been following it regularly...

*hangs head in shame*

#368 2010-11-03 22:04:12

TheSaint

Hello,
I'm here to express that aria2 splitting size should go for 5 Mbytes as a default.
But probably it should be compared to the bandwidth tongue

F

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#369 2010-11-04 06:08:28

flan_suse

SoleSoul wrote:

The reason I found out about powerpill was because of its mention on this episode of the podcast. It sounded intriguing, so I figured I should give it a try. With a bit of help from some great folks in the IRC channel, regarding mirrors, I was blown away at how fast and well powerpill works! What I especially love about it is that you can have yaourt wrap around powerpill which wraps around pacman! Beautiful! A simple command, run as a normal user (authenticated with my root password), and my entire system is updated at extremely quick speeds, including my AUR packages:

yaourt -Syu --aur

I'm a happy camper because of this.

#370 2010-11-04 12:31:13

pablokal
Website

I tried using powerpill with arguments: powerpill  -Syu --ignore libgl
The problem is tha the libgl packages are not ignored

This I get using pacman:
warning: ignoring package libgl-7.8.2-3
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "ati-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "intel-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "mach64-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "mga-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "r128-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "savage-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "sis-dri"
warning: cannot resolve "libgl=7.8.2", a dependency of "tdfx-dri"
:: the following package(s) cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      xf86-video-ati  xf86-video-intel  xf86-video-mach64  xf86-video-mga
      xf86-video-r128  xf86-video-savage  xf86-video-sis  xf86-video-tdfx
Do you want to skip the above package(s) for this upgrade? [y/N] y

When using powerpill  -Syu --ignore libgl, these are proposed for downloading though:
tdfx-dri-7.8.2-3 [0.74 MiB]
  intel-dri-7.8.2-3 [1.15 MiB]
     xf86-video-ati-6.13.2-1 [0.31 MiB]
     xf86-video-intel-2.12.0-3 [0.16 MiB]
     xf86-video-mach64-6.8.2-4 [0.07 MiB]
     xf86-video-mga-1.4.13-1 [0.07 MiB]
     xf86-video-r128-6.8.1-4 [0.04 MiB]
     xf86-video-savage-2.3.1-4 [0.06 MiB]
     xf86-video-sis-0.10.3-2 [0.22 MiB]
     xf86-video-tdfx-1.4.3-4 [0.03 MiB]
ati-dri-7.8.2-3 [1.26 MiB]
mach64-dri-7.8.2-3 [0.75 MiB]
     mga-dri-7.8.2-3 [0.75 MiB]

Do I do something wrong?

Last edited by pablokal (2010-11-04 12:33:08)

GNu/Linux: Nu nog schoner: http://linuxnogschoner.blogspot.com/

#371 2010-11-04 23:45:58

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

TheSaint wrote:

I'm here to express that aria2 splitting size should go for 5 Mbytes as a default.
But probably it should be compared to the bandwidth tongue

It used to be 5 MB. I think I had better results with 2 MB so I changed it. No one seemed to care though so it's apparently not that important. If others want me to change it back to 5 MB then I will, but as it's user-configurable, I don't think it really matters.

flan_suse wrote:

What I especially love about it is that you can have yaourt wrap around powerpill which wraps around pacman! Beautiful! A simple command, run as a normal user (authenticated with my root password), and my entire system is updated at extremely quick speeds, including my AUR packages:

yaourt -Syu --aur

If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at bauerbill. It's just powerpill with some extra features (using the same codebase).

@pablokal
*edit*
I've updated perl-xyne-arch. The problem was that nvidia-utils provides "libgl" and powerpill previously ignored the version specification when resolving dependencies with provided packages.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-11-05 00:14:45)

#372 2010-11-07 01:16:51

flan_suse

Xyne wrote:
flan_suse wrote:

What I especially love about it is that you can have yaourt wrap around powerpill which wraps around pacman! Beautiful! A simple command, run as a normal user (authenticated with my root password), and my entire system is updated at extremely quick speeds, including my AUR packages:

yaourt -Syu --aur

If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at bauerbill. It's just powerpill with some extra features (using the same codebase).

After reading up on bauerbill since you posted the link, it got me interested, so I decided to give it a shot. I do like it a lot. It's pretty much a fusion of an AUR helper (like yaourt) and powerpill. I gave it a whirl on some updates, and all seemed to go well, with the same speed boosts I got from powerpill. One thing I wish it had was the ability to run it as a normal user, without needing sudo to be installed / configured. This is how I had done it with yaourt, and yaourt would prompt for the root password in order to launch pacman/powerpill. When building from the AUR, it would use the current user's privileges, and then prompt for the root password again to install the package with pacman.

With bauerbill, it seems I must either run it from a root session (su) or use sudo, and configure the sudoers file for the current user. I did edit the bauerbill config file to drop down to my current user when building from the AUR, so no matter how I run it, it should technically be safe when building, right?

Up until this point, I never had a need for sudo, and I could upgrade my entire system as an unprivileged user, authenticating as root when prompted. Is it possible to configure bauerbill to act in the same manner as yaourt?

#373 2010-11-07 03:30:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

flan_suse wrote:

With bauerbill, it seems I must either run it from a root session (su) or use sudo, and configure the sudoers file for the current user. I did edit the bauerbill config file to drop down to my current user when building from the AUR, so no matter how I run it, it should technically be safe when building, right?

Yes. I've tried to be very careful with the way it manages privileges. It only resumes root privileges when it needs them, and it can't build as root because it doesn't pass makepkg the flag to enable it to be run as root.

I might be able to make it work as a regular user without sudo, but it doesn't seem to be a real issue for anyone so I'm reluctant to add more complexity to the code to achieve that.

#374 2010-11-09 13:48:53

flan_suse

Xyne wrote:
flan_suse wrote:

Yes. I've tried to be very careful with the way it manages privileges. It only resumes root privileges when it needs them, and it can't build as root because it doesn't pass makepkg the flag to enable it to be run as root.

I might be able to make it work as a regular user without sudo, but it doesn't seem to be a real issue for anyone so I'm reluctant to add more complexity to the code to achieve that.

Do not question my requests! You will do as I say or I will demand all of my money back and start an official boycott of all your products!

On a serious note, I'm really digging bauerbill. I'll probably end up using it with sudo, even though it's the only application I run with sudo. Prior to installing and configuring sudo, I simply su'd whenever I needed to do something as root. The reason I would start yaourt as a normal user was because it will build as root if you run it as root. At least bauerbill allows you to specify a user account to drop down to when it builds from the AUR. I'll play with it some more, but I think I hit the point of a solid mirrorlist and a well configured bauerbill, so I can't really do anything else to improve how I update my system. I especially love how you can configure bauerbill to remove makedepends after it finishes building the AUR package. This was something lacking with yaourt, and so it would leave some leftover residue, in which I had to go through my pacman log to find the uneeded packages and uninstall them.

Since bauerbill is also an AUR helper, is it possible to add a foreign package counter? This is akin to what yaourt does before it begins downloading updated packages. It will list the total number of foreign packages not found in the mirrors, which were most likely installed from the AUR.

I'll continue on the bauerbill thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 04#p852104

Last edited by flan_suse (2010-11-12 02:02:32)

#375 2010-11-09 15:25:51

Zom

flan_suse wrote:

I especially love how you can configure bauerbill to remove makedepends after it finishes building the AUR package. This was something lacking with yaourt, and so it would leave some leftover residue, in which I had to go through my pacman log to find the uneeded packages and uninstall them.

Just a minor note, you can list and remove all unnecessary packages with pacman -Qdt.

Board footer