You are not logged in.

#876 2010-11-02 15:44:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

SanskritFritz wrote:

rebase is now obsolete, pacman includes that functionality since version 3.4.

Rebase still displays information that Pacman doesn't so I wouldn't call it obsolete.

AugustePop wrote:

Does this mean --rebase option of bauerbill is now obsolete too? If rebase is obsolete, what would happen if a crond job "pacman -Sywu" is running when I invoke "bauerbill -Syu"?

The same thing that happens when anything that locks the pacman database is run while something else that locks it is already running... it exits with a message about a lock file.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#877 2010-11-02 15:45:52

AugustePop

I see. Thank you for your clarification.

Xyne wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:

rebase is now obsolete, pacman includes that functionality since version 3.4.

Rebase still displays information that Pacman doesn't so I wouldn't call it obsolete.

AugustePop wrote:

Does this mean --rebase option of bauerbill is now obsolete too? If rebase is obsolete, what would happen if a crond job "pacman -Sywu" is running when I invoke "bauerbill -Syu"?

The same thing that happens when anything that locks the pacman database is run while something else that locks it is already running... it exits with a message about a lock file.

#878 2010-11-02 18:01:58

SanskritFritz
Website

Xyne wrote:

*slaps himself*. Too quick to judge...

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#879 2010-11-04 14:51:59

SanskritFritz
Website

--> Removing makedepends...
--> Running pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' '-Ru' 'python-distribute' '--cachedir' '/var/cache/pacman/pkg'
checking dependencies...
Remove (1): python-distribute-0.6.14-5
Total Removed Size:   1.34 MB
Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] n
error: pacman exited with an error (256)

The error at the end is a bit misleading, I just chose not to remove the package installed as build dependency.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#880 2010-11-04 23:47:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@SanskritFritz
Everything after

--> Running pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' '-Ru' 'python-distribute' '--cachedir' '/var/cache/pacman/pkg'

is pure pacman and completely unrelated to bauerbill.

#881 2010-11-05 08:43:31

SanskritFritz
Website

You mean, pacman returns an error after I answer "n" to the question?
Hmm, that is interesting, and a design challenge. I could find both pro and con arguments for pacman returning an error value. In our case of course it is misleading.
I cannot find any info about the pacman return value. If it is a distinct value (meaning, the returned error code specifically states that the user did not want to remove a package answering to -Ru), could you maybe suppress bauerbill's error message at the end?

#882 2010-11-05 08:59:27

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

If the error code is unequivocal then yes.

#883 2010-11-05 11:28:00

SanskritFritz
Website

... which is sadly not the case:

/**
 * @brief Remove a specified list of packages.
 * @param targets a list of packages (as strings) to remove from the system
 * @return 0 on success, 1 on failure
 */
int pacman_remove(alpm_list_t *targets)

Maybe bauerbill could ask me if I want to remove the buid dependency and call pacman with 'yes'?

UPDATE: there is one thing: bauerbill states the exit code being 256. I dont understand how this could be. Am I missing something?

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2010-11-05 11:56:24)

#884 2010-11-06 16:08:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

SanskritFritz wrote:

UPDATE: there is one thing: bauerbill states the exit code being 256. I dont understand how this could be. Am I missing something?

The relevant code is

my $e = system {$cmd[0]} @cmd;
if ($e)
{
  print STDERR "error: pacman exited with an error ($e)\n";
  exit(1);
}

The built-in "system" command is returning 256. I have no idea why. Run the pacman command directly and check the exit code in the console ("echo $?"). Maybe pacman is returning 256 assuming that it will be treated as mod(256, 256).

SanskritFritz wrote:

Maybe bauerbill could ask me if I want to remove the buid dependency and call pacman with 'yes'?

The code that invokes pacman is contained in a subroutine and used in several places. It would be overly complicated and error-prone to check the exit status outside of that routine just to catch a specific case in one area of the code. Furthermore, that error shouldn't even occur to begin with and is probably a bug in pacman, so doing this would just be masking the problem.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-11-06 16:09:06)

#885 2010-11-06 21:43:14

SanskritFritz
Website

I see your points, and agree. Not such a big deal anyway...

#886 2010-11-09 08:34:23

jsgt

How would one resolve the following issue in the simplest way?

If I use bauerbill to install a CPAN package, it pulls in the dependencies from CPAN even though they exist in the Arch repos. They are the same version but the format of the versions are different (the CPAN modules have an extra 0), so when I later do pacman -Syu, I get warnings such as the following:

warning: perl-params-validate: local (0.950.0-1) is newer than community (0.95-2)

and consequent dependency problems.

Last edited by jsgt (2010-11-09 12:14:54)

#887 2010-11-09 12:49:17

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

jsgt wrote:

How would one resolve the following issue in the simplest way?

If I use bauerbill to install a CPAN package, it pulls in the dependencies from CPAN even though they exist in the Arch repos. They are the same version but the format of the versions are different (the CPAN modules have an extra 0), so when I later do pacman -Syu, I get warnings such as the following:

warning: perl-params-validate: local (0.950.0-1) is newer than community (0.95-2)

and consequent dependency problems.

Please read the section about this issue on the project page, then follow the link to the pacpan page. wink

#888 2010-11-12 01:55:58

flan_suse

Can the feature to export built packages into a custom folder be added to bauerbill? This is very useful for re-installation, and is especially helpful for building a local repository.

Since bauerbill only drops down to a normal user's privileges when building, it should be able to export the finished packages to folders that only root can access. This was another speed bump for me when running yaourt under a normal user account. The EXPORTDIR folder needed write permissions for the current user / group account.

To keep things organized and for the sake of consistency, here are my previous two posts about bauerbill, which are in the powerpill thread. I hadn't known there was a separate thread dedicated to bauerbill itself.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 38#p850038

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 36#p851136

Last edited by flan_suse (2010-11-12 02:00:00)

#889 2010-11-12 02:09:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You can do that using existing options. If you just want to move built packages to a given directory, set PKGDEST in makepkg.conf. If you want to move everything, use "--cachedir /path/to/dir" and "--cache-built".

As for the latter request in the other thread, use "-Qm" and variations therefore ("-Qqm",  "-Qim", etc) to list foreign packages. Those are standard pacman options and work with powerpill and bauerbill.

#890 2010-11-12 03:46:12

flan_suse

Xyne wrote:

You can do that using existing options. If you just want to move built packages to a given directory, set PKGDEST in makepkg.conf. If you want to move everything, use "--cachedir /path/to/dir" and "--cache-built".

As for the latter request in the other thread, use "-Qm" and variations therefore ("-Qqm",  "-Qim", etc) to list foreign packages. Those are standard pacman options and work with powerpill and bauerbill.

I guess it is kind of a redundant to re-invent the wheel. Thank you for the tips! I created an alias and named it "updatesystem" to do all of the mentioned with a single word.

I didn't see the option --cachedir for bauerbill under the manpage here: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/manpages/bauerbill

That's fine though. I'll have to pass on the --cachedir / --cache-built method, since I only want the finished packages, and nothing more. I used a local repository in conjunction with archiso in making a custom, non-persistent Arch USB.

But it's not a problem, since I edited makepkg.conf (PKGDEST) which works for what I need. I never knew makepkg had this feature built in. I just assumed it was up to an AUR helper, since I used yaourt shortly after using Arch Linux for the first time.

Thank you again, Xyne. Awesome work!

#891 2010-11-12 07:59:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

flan_suse wrote:

I didn't see the option --cachedir for bauerbill under the manpage here: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/manpages/bauerbill

man pacman

flan_suse wrote:

But it's not a problem, since I edited makepkg.conf (PKGDEST) which works for what I need. I never knew makepkg had this feature built in. I just assumed it was up to an AUR helper, since I used yaourt shortly after using Arch Linux for the first time.

This is the reason why users should always learn to use makepkg BEFORE using helpers like yaourt and bauerbill. I use bauerbill myself, but knowing what goes on in the background is always good.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#892 2010-11-13 07:27:39

jsgt

Xyne wrote:

Please read the section about this issue on the project page, then follow the link to the pacpan page. wink

Thanks

#893 2010-11-14 10:55:06

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Hi,

Loving bauerbill so far, but I'm a little confused by the --get-taurballs option. I thought, from reading the man page that it would be a little like clyde's -G mode: just getting the tarball from the AUR and putting it in TaurballDir (which I have set in my user's bauerbill.conf file to a directory within my home).

But, it seems to want to use pacman and pacman's cache directory instead:

% bauerbill -S --get-taurballs aurpackage
error: no write permissions to any of the following cache directories:
    /var/cache/pacman/pkg

Why should it be interested in the cache dir? Shouldn't it just pull the taurball to TaurballDir?

I should add that I also tried it without the -S:

% bauerbill --get-taurballs aurpackage
--> Switching to pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' 'aurpackage'
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)

(The man page didn't seem to suggest that -S was required... but I may easily have just misunderstood something)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by petelewis (2010-11-14 10:57:49)

"Cared thou not, thou would have abstained." - Xyne

#894 2010-11-14 11:17:04

Runiq

Hey Xyne,

Could you add something like a "makepkg-bin" option? I'd like to use this with bauerbill.

Thanks in advance!

#895 2010-11-14 16:19:16

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@petelewis
It checks for a writeable cache directory regardless of the operation. I don't remember the specifics but it was far simpler to do it that way then to try to catch all of the cases in which a writeable cache is needed while avoiding intermediate dialogues. My reasoning is that it is far less irritating to add an extra option occasionally then to go through dialogues just to have it exit with an error about an unwritable cache. (Using sudo for cache permissions would be ugly too and sprinkle privilege management all over the code.)

Just use "--cachedir ." to avoid it. If you need it often enough, use an alias.

I will eventually restructure the code to make this more user-friendly.

@Runiq
Done. Try the latest version of bauerbill and perl-xyne-arch from my repo and let me know if it works as expected. If it does, I'll push them to the AUR and [community], respectively, in a few days.

#896 2010-11-14 16:50:26

Runiq

Xyne wrote:

@Runiq
Done. Try the latest version of bauerbill and perl-xyne-arch from my repo and let me know if it works as expected. If it does, I'll push them to the AUR and [community], respectively, in a few days.

Works fine, thanks again. smile

#897 2010-11-15 09:52:07

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Xyne wrote:

@petelewis
It checks for a writeable cache directory regardless of the operation. I don't remember the specifics but it was far simpler to do it that way then to try to catch all of the cases in which a writeable cache is needed while avoiding intermediate dialogues. My reasoning is that it is far less irritating to add an extra option occasionally then to go through dialogues just to have it exit with an error about an unwritable cache. (Using sudo for cache permissions would be ugly too and sprinkle privilege management all over the code.)

Just use "--cachedir ." to avoid it. If you need it often enough, use an alias.

I will eventually restructure the code to make this more user-friendly.

Awesome, thanks for the info Xyne. I really like the way it doesn't just dump the taurballs in one place, but keeps a hierarchy. Little need for a big abs tree, eh? :-)

"Cared thou not, thou would have abstained." - Xyne

#898 2010-11-17 15:39:06

machoo02

For some reason, bauerbill is not updating packages from the AUR for me. There are several with updates available, but bauerbill overlooks them

[matt@darwin ~]$ bauerbill -Ss elegant-gnome
AUR/elegant-gnome 1.0-1 [installed: 0.9.2-1]
    This is a project that provides an automatic configuration of your GNOME desktop just in one click, with the backup and restoring support.

[matt@darwin ~]$ bauerbill -Ss freetype2-infinality
AUR/freetype2-infinality 2.4.3-7 [installed: 2.4.3-5]
    TrueType font rendering library with infinality patch

[matt@darwin ~]$ bauerbill -Ss kernel26-lqx
AUR/kernel26-lqx 2.6.36-7 [installed: 2.6.36-1]
    Linux kernel and modules with Liquorix patches

[matt@darwin ~]$ sudo bauerbill -Syu --aur
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
--> Switching to pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman-color' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' '-S' '-u'
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
[matt@darwin ~]$ 

[matt@darwin ~]$ bauerbill -Ss xyne
xyne-any/perl-xyne-arch 2010.11.14.1-1 [installed]
    Xyne's Arch-specific Perl modules.
xyne-any/perl-xyne-common 2010.10.09.1-2 [installed]
    Xyne's common Perl modules.

[matt@darwin ~]$ bauerbill -Ss bauerbill
xyne-any/bauerbill 2010.10.15.1-2 [installed]
    An extension of Powerpill that brings download acceleration, ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support to Pacman, among other things.

It also missed all of the package updates from over the weekend when I was away from my laptop. Any thoughts?

EDIT: well, nevermind. whatever was wrong seemed to have corrected itself.

Last edited by machoo02 (2010-11-20 20:17:19)

#899 2010-11-27 23:58:05

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Nice, I found this while exploring helper apps to allow me to build my packages from source.  I'd like to build everything in my system (using my CFLAGS from /etc/makepkg.conf).  Is it possible to have bauerbill run without prompting me to confirm the installation of each freshly built package?  Is my only option the --pacman-noconfirm which xyne has warning against?  Can I get it to just download/build everything and install them with just one Y/n question when all packages are built?

For example:

sudo bauerbill -S --abs base base-devel

EDIT: I tried adding a -w to the above, but it didn't do anything.

My /etc/bauerbill.conf

ABS
ABSRepo = core extra community xyne-any
Aria2Args = allow-overwrite=true continue file-allocation=none ftp-pasv=true max-concurrent-downloads=45 max-tries=2 metalink-enable-unique-protocol=false metalink-servers=45 summary-interval=0 timeout=5 file-allocation=none
Aria2Bin = /usr/bin/aria2c
BuildAs = MYUSER
BuildDir = /dev/shm/bauerbill-build
CacheBuilt
MakepkgConfig = /etc/makepkg.conf
PacmanBin = /usr/bin/pacman
PacmanConfig = /etc/pacman.conf
Rebase
TrustABS

Thanks for the tips, all.

Last edited by graysky (2010-11-28 00:06:43)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#900 2010-11-28 00:06:11

karol
Archivist

graysky wrote:

Can I get it to just download/build everything and install them with just one Y/n question when all packages are built?

Try this:

--blindly-trust-everything-when-building-packages-despite-the-inherent-danger
              This  option  enables pacman's "--noconfirm" option to bypass the PKGBUILD and install file inspection
              prompt for all packages. This option is VERY DANGEROUS and IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED THAT  YOU  USE  THIS.
              The only reason that this is included is because some users desperately want this functionality.

The author highly recommends using the options to trust ABS packages and specific AUR users instead of
              this option, which can be used to achieve essentially the same effect.

--build-all
              Build all repo packages using ABS, including dependencies. This will bypass the ABS build  queue  dia‐
              logue.

Board footer