You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 23:09:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

edit: For anyone still missing bauerbill, it's back. smile

info page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/bauerbill

edit: the info page now contains a FAQ which you should check before posting any questions, especially questions about output

I've created a version of Powerpill with ABS and AUR support. I've wanted to do this for a while but I didn't want to step on Yaourt's toes. Recently though there has been a wave of AUR helpers so I decided that it was time to throw my own contribution into the mix.

Here's a quick feature overview:

* AUR support (downloading, full dependency resolution, building, installation)
    * CPAN support (downloading, full dependency resolution, building, installation)
    * Hackage support (downloading, full dependency resolution, building, installation)
    * ABS support (can build all packages from source from any repo which provides the $repo.abs.tar.gz archive)
    * parallelization for faster downloads (single, combined package and source downloads for upgrades with aria2c, parallel searches, parallel taurball downloads, etc)
    * drops privileges to build when run as root, checks for sudo to install packages when run as non-root
    * unified sync db and AUR search (bauerbill -Ss, bauerbill -Si) with support for multiple search arguments
    * tracks all dependencies during build operations and cleans up makedepends when done
    * PKGBUILD inspection prompt with support for viewing, editing, backup up, diffing and patching files interactively
    * options to automatically patch and build specified packages
    * option to trust ABS PKGBUILDs to fully automate repo package building
    * option to trust specific AUR users to fully automate AUR package building
    * built-in Reflector support for finding additional mirrors for downloads
    * built-in PkgD support for retrieving packages over a LAN
    * build-in Rebase support for selective database extraction... also displays a list of changes during each operation

Bauerbill is currently only available from the repo on my site and it depends on perl-xyne-common and perl-xyne-arch in the same repo. I rewrote large portions of the latter two while writing Bauerbill and I want to wait until the code feels stable before pushing them to [community]. Bauerbill will then get added to the AUR.

Check that you have the latest versions of my perl modules before posting any bugs. I'm actively using bauerbill right now and pushing micro-updates as soon as I find something to fix.

Last edited by Xyne (2015-12-06 15:54:27)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2010-01-06 23:13:22

flamelab

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

(Jack) Bauer-bill tongue

As always, great job from what I see big_smile:D

------

I think I found a bug:

sudo bauerbill --build-deps -Su
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 90.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 120.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 90.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 120.
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
warning: about to source /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/guayadeque-svn/PKGBUILD
error: unable to edit /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/guayadeque-svn/PKGBUILD (permission denied)

Last edited by flamelab (2010-01-06 23:24:17)

#3 2010-01-07 00:22:46

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've added some code which should prevent the uninitialized variable error but I think the underlying problem was a failure to connect to the server (probably need to add more robust checks for such).

Is the permission denied an error as well? If so, let me know how you ran bauerbill (root, normal user, build dir, taurball dir, etc).

Keep checking for updates btw. I'll keep pushing micro-version-bumps as I find little bugs (e.g. just fixed a problem with Rebase output (extraction was fine).

#4 2010-01-07 19:14:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I think I've fixed the permission handling. It should run smoothly as root now.

#5 2010-01-07 19:18:30

flamelab

I guess it is.

There is problem with AUR packages' update:

bauerbill -Su --aur
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
warning: about to source /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/guayadeque-svn/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  ok
warning: about to source /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/bin32-winetricks/PKGBUILD
warning: about to source /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/tint2-svn/PKGBUILD
warning: about to source /home/flamelab/Projects/BauerBill/AUR/gupnp-igd/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  x
flamepc flamelab #

(I didn't want gupnp-igd to be updated, I pressed x, and then bauerbill stopped)

#6 2010-01-07 20:14:15

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I'll add a "skip" option to the prompt, but you should use "--ignore" to ignore packages (or add it to pacman.conf).

*edit*
I'm not sure that I actually want to reroute flow control through that prompt, which is happily isolated at the moment. Unless I've missed or miscoded something, the ignore option should suffice. Consider the following cases:

bauerbill -Syu: ignores packages and groups specified in pacman.conf or on the command line
bauerbill -S foo: if foo depends on an ignored package "bar", bauerbill will detect this and display the dependency chain leading to bar with the message "available but ignored", e.g.: foo -> baz -> schmooz -> bar (available but ignored)
bauerbill -S bar: considers this an override of the ignore function but still doesn't update packages which depend on it.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-07 20:45:34)

#7 2010-01-07 22:42:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Aah ! Fun stuff.

I now have 3 different aur wrappers to try tonight. aurget, packer and bauerbill. I wasn't a big fan of yaourt for some reason.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2010-01-08 05:17:54

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hiya Xyne.

I've searched through the man page a bit and I'm not seeing what I'm looking for. Is there an option to simply check to see what's out of date in the AUR without attempting to build or download anything?

#9 2010-01-08 05:20:48

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You're forgetting its pacman roots tongue

bauerbill -Qu --aur

#10 2010-01-08 05:24:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

You're forgetting its pacman roots tongue

bauerbill -Qu --aur

Holy crap Xyne! That other program can forever go away now. Sweet!

By the way, update your packages you slacker. Greater than 10 seconds is unacceptable.

#11 2010-01-08 05:33:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

skottish wrote:

Holy crap Xyne! That other program can forever go away now. Sweet!

By the way, update your packages you slacker. Greater than 10 seconds is unacceptable.

big_smile

Now I just have to wait for the users of that other program to discover this. Feel free to spread the word. wink

#12 2010-01-08 05:35:35

zowki
Website

Instead of writing a fork of powerpill why not implement the features of bauerbill into powerpill?

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#13 2010-01-08 05:42:47

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

zowki wrote:

Instead of writing a fork of powerpill why not implement the features of bauerbill into powerpill?

It's not a fork, it's an extension. The Bauerbill class inherits from the Powerpill class and only changes that which needs to be changed. The codebase is the same.

I've created a separate front-end because Powerpill is in [community] and packages in the official repos are not supposed to be able to automatically install from the AUR due to security reasons. That's why Yaourt was never moved into [community] despite having over 1000 votes.

#14 2010-01-08 11:15:44

Pank

I get the following error using standard bauerbill.conf. I am able to make mkdir and touch in tmp, which seems to be the default place for bauerbill to hang around.

> bauerbill -S emacs
error: no writable cache directory found

PS: I use pbfetch at the moment. The one thing that all these new yaourt replacements, execept pakthur, seem to miss is default to search. i.e. yaourt emacs would list all packages containing the term "emacs". Is there a reason that yaourt-replacements don't include this feature?

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#15 2010-01-08 11:42:02

Nezmer
Website

Does it fetch from SVN/trunk like pbget?

English is not my native language .

#16 2010-01-08 13:38:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Pank wrote:

I get the following error using standard bauerbill.conf. I am able to make mkdir and touch in tmp, which seems to be the default place for bauerbill to hang around.

> bauerbill -S emacs
error: no writable cache directory found

It's a Pacman wrapper so the default cache is /var/cache/pacman/pkg. You need to either specify a different cache using Pacman's "--cachedir <path>" option, or run it as root to gain access to the default cache. I'll try to make that message clearer, but try running "pacman -S emacs" and it will tell you that you need to be root too.

Pank wrote:

PS: I use pbfetch at the moment. The one thing that all these new yaourt replacements, execept pakthur, seem to miss is default to search. i.e. yaourt emacs would list all packages containing the term "emacs". Is there a reason that yaourt-replacements don't include this feature?

Pacman doesn't default to searching. Use "bauerbill -Ss <pkg>" if you want to search. wink

Nezmer wrote:

Does it fetch from SVN/trunk like pbget?

Nope. As the documentation states, it fetches $repo.abs.tar.gz archives. All of the official repositories contain archives of their PKGBUILDs and local source files (e.g. core.abs.tar.gz, extra.abs.tar.gz, community.abs.tar.gz, etc) that this is where Bauerbill gets the files for building repo packages. I did it this way because it enables Bauerbill to support unofficial repos that include such files. It's also much simpler than scraping the official site's html, which would be slow and place useless load on the server.

#17 2010-01-08 14:18:17

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Xyne wrote:

Now I just have to wait for the users of that other program to discover this.

It helps a lot if it is on the AUR.  I can't quite figure out why you don't want to.

Last edited by keenerd (2010-01-08 14:18:42)

#18 2010-01-08 15:46:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

keenerd wrote:
Xyne wrote:

Now I just have to wait for the users of that other program to discover this.

It helps a lot if it is on the AUR.  I can't quite figure out why you don't want to.

hmm

In the first post Xyne wrote:

Bauerbill is currently only available from the repo on my site and it depends on perl-xyne-common and perl-xyne-arch in the same repo. I rewrote large portions of the latter two while writing Bauerbill and I want to wait until the code feels stable before pushing them to [community]. Bauerbill will then get added to the AUR.

Again, it will be move to the AUR when I feel comfortable moving the latest versions of perl-xyne-common and perl-xyne-arch to [community]. It isn't compatible with the current versions in community, which are themselves only available on my site at the moment while I check for new bugs. If I move this to the AUR right now, its dependencies would not be satisfied.

Before anyone asks why I don't just push it to [community-testing], it's because it's much faster to update on my site. I don't want people to have to wait for repos to resync to get the latest bug fix.

I think it's almost ready, so if you really don't want to enable the repo on my site, just be patient. I really can't think of a good reason not to enable my repo though, but I'm obviously biased.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 15:47:31)

#19 2010-01-08 17:14:39

scio

Finally!  Yaourt can finally be removed!

I'd buy you a beer if you lived near me. smile

#20 2010-01-08 18:15:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

scio wrote:

Hey, I live near you. I will take the beer on Xyne's behalf wink

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#21 2010-01-08 18:47:55

lswest
Website

I just tried installing bauerbill off your repository, and keep getting these errors when trying to run it.

┌─[lswest@lswest-netbook:~]-[19:46:10]
└─> bauerbill 
Can't locate Xyne/Common/JSON.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl /usr/share/perl5/core_perl /usr/lib/perl5/current /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current .) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 25.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/AUR.pm line 25.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 22.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/bauerbill line 25.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/bauerbill line 25.

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to get it working?  Feel free to ask for any other information you may need.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#22 2010-01-08 18:54:44

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You probably have the community repo specified before my xyne-any repo in your pacman.conf file. I didn't specify a minimum version for perl-xyne-common, so your system is still using the one in [community], which doesn't have the JSON module.

I'll update the PKGBUILD, but I really recommend placing my repo above [community] to make sure that you're using the latest versions of my packages.

Inxsible wrote:
scio wrote:

Hey, I live near you. I will take the beer on Xyne's behalf wink

Thanks for the offer, scio.
I hereby authorize Inxsible as my regional beverage ambassador for the tri-state area for all occasions in which I am unable to accept such offers.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 19:02:09)

#23 2010-01-08 19:00:07

lswest
Website

Ah, perfect.  I didn't think of that.  Really useful when you can ask someone who knows what they're doing wink.  Did I miss a note on your website saying it should be before community?  If it's not there, maybe add it to your repo page?

In any case, bauerbill is nice, I'll be using it from now on for sure smile  Keep up the great work!  Also, thanks for the blazingly fast reply tongue
Lswest

"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#24 2010-01-08 19:03:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

lswest wrote:

Ah, perfect.  I didn't think of that.  Really useful when you can ask someone who knows what they're doing wink.  Did I miss a note on your website saying it should be before community?  If it's not there, maybe add it to your repo page?

In any case, bauerbill is nice, I'll be using it from now on for sure smile  Keep up the great work!  Also, thanks for the blazingly fast reply tongue
Lswest

Thanks big_smile

I'll add a note to the Repos page.

#25 2010-01-08 19:05:11

lswest
Website

Xyne wrote:
lswest wrote:

Lswest

Thanks big_smile

I'll add a note to the Repos page.

You're welcome smile

If you keep up the good work, Inxsible may need a new liver after all those offers of beer wink  I'm not a drinker, but if you're ever in Munich, I'd be happy to buy you one too.

Board footer