You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 08:16:05

derek

Openoffice + windows share + GNOME/Nautilus

Hi,

I'm trying to edit a windows excel file which is located in a windows share.

I've done this before using Ubuntu's OpenOffice without problems.

When I'm trying to save the changes into the file (after say yes to the Excel format) I'm getting the following error:

"Error saving the document name_of_the_doc: General input/output error while accessing to /home/name_of_user/.gvfs/name_of_share/name_of_the_doc.xls"

I get this twice and a last error which says:

"Error saving the document name_of_the_doc:
General Error
General input/output error."

The funniest thing is that after all those errors a new file is created in the share with the same names plus a sequential number (one for each try). This file has the same content as the original without the changes.

I just migrated from Ubuntu and I really like ArchLinux, but with such a problem I can't even work... Any ideas??

Thank you.

Derek.

#2 2008-10-10 06:53:10

derek

Re: Openoffice + windows share + GNOME/Nautilus

Hi, anyone?? I'm needing this smile

BTW, is there someone who has managed to configure an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with two monitors?

Thanks.

Derek.

#3 2008-10-13 12:21:12

derek

Well, seeing the great expectation I've been generating here with my message (now I'm being cynical) I'll add the fact that updating to OpenOffice 3.0 didn't help... Any hint? Is there anybody who is in the same situation?

Thank you.

Derek.

#4 2008-10-13 12:39:23

SiC

Windows shares tend to be read only unless you have the ntfs-3g driver installed, and even then you would be better mounting via fstab than via gvfs.  At least that's my experience.

#5 2008-10-13 14:12:16

derek

Windows shares tend to be read only unless you have the ntfs-3g driver installed, and even then you would be better mounting via fstab than via gvfs.  At least that's my experience.

Hi, thank you for your comment SiC! Well, I mostly agree with you but there are two facts which make me relate this problem to OpenOffice exclusively:

1.- The rest of programs (i.e. gedit) can save into that share without problem
2.- I had this configuration under Ubuntu working for months.

Is anyone there who could test the same scenario (that is, saving a windows share located excel 2003 file changed by openoffice 2.4/3, share mounted using gvfs) ?

Thank you.

Derek

#6 2008-10-15 07:44:16

derek

Well, I kind of solved the problem(s):

1.- For the dualmonitor ATI i just installed the propietary drivers wihch include a windows-like gui application named "ATI Catalyst control center" which allowed to me to configure correctly the two screens.
2.- For the problems writing the files from OpenOffice 3.0 I just gave up and followed SiC suggestion. I got rid of Gnome Volume Manager mounts and I created my own using FSTAB + CIFS, now is working like a charm smile

I hope it can help someone with the same problem despite it seems like I'm the only one...

Derek

Board footer