You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 16:02:12

jammib

terminal and root terminal broken in Gnome

This week I returned to work after a few weeks off and ran a system update, since then soooo many things don't want to work as they used to, but the most annoying of all of them is now when I try using the Terminal or Root Terminal launchers the first one always wins. 

For instance, if I click on Terminal the terminal opens, great.  If I then click on Root Terminal, I do all the authentication and stuff and a user level terminal opens, not great.

If I do it the other way round and click on Root Terminal first, I authenticate and a root shell opens, great.  If I then click on Terminal I get another root shell, not great.

Something seems to be broken in gksu, but I don't know what.  This is proving to be a massive PITA and if anyone can help I would be most greatful.

Cheers

Jammib

#2 2008-10-09 18:05:22

konni

Re: terminal and root terminal broken in Gnome

updated from testing? there's incomplete gnome 2.24 stuff in there... maybe downgrade again?

#3 2008-10-13 10:27:56

jammib

No, I'm pretty sure I don't use testing anywhere.  I will wait and see what 2.24 brings me and if that doesn't fix it I will dig a bit deeper.

Thanks for your reply.

Jammib

#4 2008-10-13 10:49:43

JGC
Developer

I've added a fix for gksu to testing x86_64 now. The fix is simple: change /usr/share/applications/gksu.desktop to have "gksu -l gnome-terminal" in the Exec line. This will start gksu with a login session instead of using a normal session that takes over the user environment variables.

Board footer