You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-10 14:26:20

opeth115

Help, after my hard drive crashed, ipod

I had all of my music stored on my hard drive but unluckily it failed....  So i had to get a new one, and even though i lost 1000 or so of my songs, i tried to recover them from my ipod but with no luck and now i can see that all the songs are still on myipod, but the ipod doesn't see them and neither will any music app i have tried (gtkpod, exaile, rhythmbox, amarok, yamipod).  I really don't want to loose all of my music, is there any way of getting these since i can still manually navigate into Ipod_Control and see them?  The only problem is that they are named as liek X65G.mps, and the likes.

#2 2008-10-11 15:34:17

opeth115

Re: Help, after my hard drive crashed, ipod

anybody have any suggestions?

#3 2008-10-11 16:00:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Help, after my hard drive crashed, ipod

I've never done this, so I'll be limited in helping. But, the ID3 tags are stored with those files. You need a script that will simply pull the information off of the ID3 tag, rename the file and to recreate a useful file structure like music/artist/album.

--EDIT--

You may have to differentiate between m4a and mp3 files. id3info from id3lib will pull the stuff off of mp3. mp4info from libmp4v2 will grab the stuff from m4a files. You can check for file type by using the file command.

--Yet another edit--

Amarok, Exaile, GTKPod, and others all may be able to do it without going through writing a script. You may want to check the options of these programs as well.

--Final Edit--

I'm thinking way too much this morning...

http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/iPod+File+Recovery

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-11 16:24:20)

Board footer