You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-11 17:50:26

blasse
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2008-04-24
Posts: 303

Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Kernel 2.6.27 from Testing repo has already gspcav1 modules for cameras. Despite it, cameras stopped working since upgrading. Modules are loaded correctly. Anyone knows is it Arch-related issue or should I report a bug to kernel.org?


Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

Offline

#2 2008-10-11 20:42:15

quetzyg
Member
From: /home/quetzyg
Registered: 2006-08-03
Posts: 129

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Hi there!

It should be a kernel bug, since I custom compiled my own kernel, and my (gspca_zc3xx) webcam also stopped working.

Cheers,
Quetzy


ZzZz...

Offline

#3 2008-10-12 11:21:19

blasse
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2008-04-24
Posts: 303

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

It may be connected with this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/260918 (Ubuntu 8.10 uses 2.6.27 kernel).


Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

Offline

#4 2008-10-14 18:37:25

blasse
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2008-04-24
Posts: 303

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27


Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

Offline

#5 2008-10-15 04:18:29

Rhino
Member
Registered: 2007-12-17
Posts: 7
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

I managed to get my webcam to work with skype. Here's whate I did.

sudo modprobe gspca_main
yaourt -S libv4l

The checksum is wrong so you have to modify it. After that, all you need to do is to start skype with this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I didn't try this solution with any other application but from what I read on launchpad it seems to work.

Last edited by Rhino (2008-10-15 04:22:28)

Offline

#6 2008-10-15 10:02:09

chochem
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2008-03-02
Posts: 176
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Thanks, Rhino. Works for me (VLC, Cheese, firefox/Flash). To have it apply universally, I just exported the setting in my .xinitrc file.

BTW I suppose there is no harm in posting the working md5sums for those who do not usually build packages themselves (I cannot have tampered with the PKGBUILD or the packages):

md5sums=('8a845c932387831bf87a5ac336c4fd67')

Last edited by chochem (2008-10-15 10:05:35)

Offline

#7 2008-10-15 16:15:05

TheSaint
Member
From: my computer
Registered: 2007-08-19
Posts: 1,378

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

chochem wrote:

I just exported the setting in my .xinitrc file.

Want you give us your .xinitrc correction, just to be sure we'll do it in the right way?

F


do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

Offline

#8 2008-10-15 16:48:52

chochem
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2008-03-02
Posts: 176
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

TheSaint wrote:
chochem wrote:

I just exported the setting in my .xinitrc file.

Want you give us your .xinitrc correction, just to be sure we'll do it in the right way?

F

Wow, sarcasm. My ears are burning.

Offline

#9 2008-10-15 17:47:58

codernem
Member
Registered: 2008-01-20
Posts: 9

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

I managed to get my webcam to work with skype. Here's whate I did.

Code:

sudo modprobe gspca_main
yaourt -S libv4l

The checksum is wrong so you have to modify it. After that, all you need to do is to start skype with this:

Code:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I didn't try this solution with any other application but from what I read on launchpad it seems to work.

I have a Logitech Quickcam Express

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:092f Logitech, Inc. QuickCam express Plus

which stopped to work after upgrading to kernel 2.6.27. On Skype, the new gspca driver causes the application crash. Dmesg report

gspca: usb_submit_urb [0] err -28

and the green light on my webcam switches off. I tried Rhino workaround, and it works (even if the picture is very dark). With Xawtv, I cannot see anything (with and without Rhino workaround).
With Kopete, I cannot see anything (but with Rhino's I can, even if very dark...).

So, what's going on with this driver?

EDIT: I noticed the new driver doesn't accept old parameters like gamma. So is there a way to light the image up a bit?

Last edited by codernem (2008-10-15 18:16:17)

Offline

#10 2008-10-16 11:53:07

hutch
Member
From: Lusiana - Italy
Registered: 2008-10-16
Posts: 13

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

I have a similar situation, i put the two "export.." rows in /etc/profile
and application like "cheese" works.

I have the same problem of codernem with Xawtv in the sense that i see all black (but i don't watch ad dmesg so i don't know if i have also th error).

I cannot try skype because i use arch64 and lib32-XXX to use 32 bit skype

I imagine i would need a sort of "lib32-libv4l" and make the appropriate "export.." before launching skype

this evening i will try to build this package and I'lllet you know tomorrow

Offline

#11 2008-10-18 08:44:57

codernem
Member
Registered: 2008-01-20
Posts: 9

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Any news here, hutch?

In the case, I temporarily rollback to 2.6.26.5 (because I really need an out-of-the-box usable skype, ready at every moment) but I'm collectiong info to resolve the dark screen issue. With the previous module I could just modprobe gspca module with:

gamma=4 GRed=512 GGreen=512 GBlue=512 autoexpo=0

... but now? I tried to look at module docs inside kernel dir, but there is only a list of supported webcams. I forgot to see under /sys/module ... and to do that, I need to upgrade and eventually roll back again. Are there suggestions?

Offline

#12 2008-10-19 16:26:51

mightyjaym
Member
From: Nîmes, France
Registered: 2007-12-02
Posts: 25

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

hutch wrote:

I have a similar situation, i put the two "export.." rows in /etc/profile
and application like "cheese" works.

I have the same problem of codernem with Xawtv in the sense that i see all black (but i don't watch ad dmesg so i don't know if i have also th error).

I cannot try skype because i use arch64 and lib32-XXX to use 32 bit skype

I imagine i would need a sort of "lib32-libv4l" and make the appropriate "export.." before launching skype

this evening i will try to build this package and I'lllet you know tomorrow

I've made a lib32-libv4l package and sent it to AUR. After installing it, just use the following script to launch skype :

#!/bin/bash

SKYPE_BIN_PATH="/usr/bin"
LIBV4L="/opt/lib32/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so"

LD_PRELOAD=${LIBV4L} skype

exit 0

And voila ! smile

Offline

#13 2008-10-19 23:21:15

jcolinzheng
Member
From: Cambridge, MA
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 50
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

codernem wrote:

Any news here, hutch?

In the case, I temporarily rollback to 2.6.26.5 (because I really need an out-of-the-box usable skype, ready at every moment) but I'm collectiong info to resolve the dark screen issue. With the previous module I could just modprobe gspca module with:

gamma=4 GRed=512 GGreen=512 GBlue=512 autoexpo=0

... but now? I tried to look at module docs inside kernel dir, but there is only a list of supported webcams. I forgot to see under /sys/module ... and to do that, I need to upgrade and eventually roll back again. Are there suggestions?

I'm having the same problem.  /sys/module/gspca_main/parameters contains nothing other than ``debug''.
Have you found anything useful?

Offline

#14 2008-10-20 07:51:11

codernem
Member
Registered: 2008-01-20
Posts: 9

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

jcolinzheng wrote:
codernem wrote:

Any news here, hutch?

In the case, I temporarily rollback to 2.6.26.5 (because I really need an out-of-the-box usable skype, ready at every moment) but I'm collectiong info to resolve the dark screen issue. With the previous module I could just modprobe gspca module with:

gamma=4 GRed=512 GGreen=512 GBlue=512 autoexpo=0

... but now? I tried to look at module docs inside kernel dir, but there is only a list of supported webcams. I forgot to see under /sys/module ... and to do that, I need to upgrade and eventually roll back again. Are there suggestions?

I'm having the same problem.  /sys/module/gspca_main/parameters contains nothing other than ``debug''.
Have you found anything useful?

Nope at the moment. But try to see if exists another dir inside /sys/module for gspca module, referred to your webcam model. gspca_main is the main module but, to work properly, your system needs a module specifically fpr your webcam. In my case, this module is gspca_spca561 ( hoping to remember it right tongue ).

I found a very interesting discussion on Ubuntu forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5988774

Offline

#15 2008-10-20 14:15:27

jcolinzheng
Member
From: Cambridge, MA
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 50
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Mine is also gspca_spca561.  That module exports no parameter either.
Thank you for the link, I think i might eventually have to try modifying the source for the parameter (brightness) I need to change, for now...

Offline

#16 2008-10-22 14:50:47

malkosta
Member
Registered: 2008-10-05
Posts: 10

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

How can I export the parameter "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" to my .xinitrc?

So I won't need to write it all everytime I need to start skype, kopete...etc

Thank you

Offline

#17 2008-10-22 17:14:34

bender02
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-02-04
Posts: 1,328

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

malkosta wrote:

How can I export the parameter "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" to my .xinitrc?

That command actually runs skype (notice 'skype' at the end), with the variable LD_PRELOAD set. If you want to set LD_PRELOAD globally, you could 'export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' in ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.profile).

Offline

#18 2008-10-22 17:53:26

malkosta
Member
Registered: 2008-10-05
Posts: 10

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

It didn't work... I added

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

to my ~/.xinitrc file and my webcam isn't still working on skype.

btw my system starts on text mode, then I log in as root then I type
/etc/rc.d/kdm start
to start kdm. This is the way that I prefer to start. Idk, but I thought that this info would help you to help me.

My system doesn't have a ~/.profile. Should I create this archive and add export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so to it?

What should a do to export this when I boot my arch?

Thank you

Offline

#19 2008-10-22 19:26:00

jcolinzheng
Member
From: Cambridge, MA
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 50
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Just add that export line to /etc/profile, and reboot.  xinitrc may not be executed if you don't run startx

Offline

#20 2008-10-22 19:31:58

bender02
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-02-04
Posts: 1,328

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

EDIT: er... I was too late.

By the way, you don't need to reboot, just logout and login.

Last edited by bender02 (2008-10-22 19:33:41)

Offline

#21 2008-10-22 20:02:45

jcolinzheng
Member
From: Cambridge, MA
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 50
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Right...I forgot that /etc/profile is executed at login, not system startup

Offline

#22 2008-10-26 19:25:24

karag
Member
Registered: 2006-09-05
Posts: 84

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

sorry for the dumb question:

where is package 'libv4l'
I can't find it anywhere

Offline

#23 2008-10-30 01:38:40

Evanlec
Member
From: NH, USA
Registered: 2007-12-16
Posts: 140
Website

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Well for me, doing modprobe gspca_zc3xx loads the module and everything, but doesnt create the device node (for me usually /dev/video0), I have a logitech Quickcam Messenger (supposedly supported by this module).

Offline

#24 2008-10-30 09:39:49

blasse
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2008-04-24
Posts: 303

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

karag wrote:

sorry for the dumb question:

where is package 'libv4l'
I can't find it anywhere

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/libv4l/


Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

Offline

#25 2008-11-04 16:38:30

sash
Member
Registered: 2005-10-16
Posts: 155

Re: Gspca and Kernel 2.6.27

Very nice--the workaround described here works for me as well ( gspca_zc3xx, 041e:4051, Creative Live!Cam Notebook Pro ). Otherwise, I get the green and black carpet like everyone else.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB