You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-12 13:20:36

juan_sck

[Solved (initscripts-splash plroblem)] Filesystem check failed

Hello, my arch i686 sudently doesn't boot.
At system start, after loading kernel, the boot process stops and says "FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED" give root password for maintenance or control+D for restart.
My root partition (dev/sda2) is reiserfs formated, and arch updated this week.

After reading a while I booted with Arch install CD and tried the follwing:

fsck.reiserfs --check /dev/sda2
fsck.reiserfs --fix-fixable /dev/sda2
fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-sb /dev/sda2
fsck.reiserfs --clean-attributes /dev/sda2

But no errors were found or fixed, so I can't boot arch yet.

Are there any other way to fix the filesystem?
can filesystem check be skipped?

please help

Last edited by juan_sck (2008-10-13 11:09:17)

#2 2008-10-12 14:03:08

Mektub

Re: [Solved (initscripts-splash plroblem)] Filesystem check failed

Could it be that it is anoter partition that is giving trouble ? Ot do you only have /dev/sda2 ?

Or start in sinle-user. At the grub boot menu, select the option that lets you edit the kernel parameters.
Add either a '1' or 'single' to the end of the kernel parameters, then continue booting up.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2008-10-12 14:33:52

pointone
Wiki Admin

There should be a more descriptive error message above where it says "filesystem check failed" describing WHY the fsck failed.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#4 2008-10-12 16:56:39

iDeJ

i had a similar problem after the last pacman -Syu, basicly the bootsplash-initscripts are not compatible with latest udev

maybe it helps
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56604

#5 2008-10-12 21:25:42

Ub1476

Hi, I have the same problem. I think at least. Here's my story:

After I installed Arch, ethernet did not work. So I downloaded kernel .27, copied it to another HDD, which I later mounted in Arch and installed using packman --upgrade /.../... . That works fine, ethernet works. Next I do a -Syu, it downloads all packages, but can't install them because "klibc" or something is already in /something/. Whatever I think and install X and the intel driver. Then I try to start X and it freezes, I hard reboot and it does a check.. and fails.

Well, I'm trying to follow your instructions iDeJ. First of all, do I have to remove bootsplash? What package is that? Second, when you say boot Arch, do you mean a live cd? Cause I see no way to access a command line from my current Arch.. Well, I tried a live cd and mounted using the command from Arch, then install initscripts, however it's not found by packman. I guess it's because I did something wrong with the mounting/live cd.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks smile

#6 2008-10-12 21:47:02

Mektub

That works fine, ethernet works. Next I do a -Syu, it downloads all packages, but can't install them because "klibc" or something is already in /something/.

Solve by reading:

http://www.archlinux.org/news/411/

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#7 2008-10-13 11:07:27

juan_sck

Mektub wrote:

Could it be that it is anoter partition that is giving trouble ? Ot do you only have /dev/sda2 ?

Or start in sinle-user. At the grub boot menu, select the option that lets you edit the kernel parameters.
Add either a '1' or 'single' to the end of the kernel parameters, then continue booting up.

Mektub

of course I know where I installled Arch.

pointone wrote:

There should be a more descriptive error message above where it says "filesystem check failed" describing WHY the fsck failed.

No, just system check failed. Even more, my filesystem was perfectly, it was a problem with initscripts-splash

iDeJ wrote:

i had a similar problem after the last pacman -Syu, basicly the bootsplash-initscripts are not compatible with latest udev

maybe it helps
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56604

I don't think installing a year old initscripts package would solve it, but you were very helpful.

Finally I could solve it with the recovery console:
After the error message I typed root password to log in, then remounted root partition for r/w:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

Finally I had to remove the package initscripts-splash and install initscripts form core.

ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0
pacman -Syu
pacman -Rs initscripts-splash
pacman -S initscripts
exit

**You should make a backup of rc.conf before installing initscripts, because installing initscrips will overwrite it (and a few other files i hadn't modified), and pacman was supoussed to back it up, but it didn't

thanks for your help.

Board footer