You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-13 13:50:52

mr_lou

Help me buy a new computer suitable for Arch

Hello all Arch users.

About 1½ years ago, a mate convinced me to try out Arch Linux. It was about the same time as I also bought myself a TFT monitor. I've grown rather fond of Arch since then, and refuse to use anything else (except at work where I have to use Windoze).
But I've also been having some eye-problems for the last year or so, and I'm blaming partly my Phillips 190S monitor, and partly backlight/brightness settings in Arch, which I have been unable to change. Last thursday these eye-problems accelerated and gave me so much trouble I was unable to use a computer or TV or even go outside for days. I can't live a life that boring! :-|  I have to be able to use my computer 25 hours a day.
I've searched a bit on the forum and found that I'm not the only one having some eye-problems with Arch. One solution apparently is to use xbacklight command, which just doesn't work on my system. I found another graphics-card which I tried, but it used the same drivers, so still no xbacklight command. Anyway, I don't want to make a big story out of it either, since I've decided to buy a new computer and monitor now. I want a low-noise system anyway, so....

The monitor will be some expensive stuff that should be very kind to the eyes, so I'm pretty sure that part can't be better. But should you have a recommendation for a great monitor that's kind to the eyes, do share.
I'm thinking that the hardware otherwise might not be compatible with Arch for reasons I'm sure I wouldn't know about. Also, I'm interested in knowing if there's any graphics-cards that suits Arch better than others. And finally, my Arch system is a little broken, and a fresh install probably isn't a bad idea. (I'm no Linux hardcore user, but I definitely know I prefer any Linux distro over Windoze).
So I decided to put down the stuff I'm thinking of getting, and maybe someone will tell me if they know of any problems with that hardware and Arch, or maybe recommend me something else.

MSI G31M LGA775 1333FSB Bulk MAT G31M, 4xSATA
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, 2.40GHz, 800FSB
Ram Geil 2048 MB DDR-II PC6400 KIT
Samsung S223 DVDRW-SA/18/18/8/SATA
Samsung 250GB SATA II Harddisk
NorthQ NQ-6803 52-in-1 Cardreader

There's no graphics-card on that list, because there's a built-in one one the motherboard, and I don't really need it for games, but rather system-development and such. But if you believe that a certain graphics-card will improve picture quality, or be more kind to the eyes, then do tell me. (I doubt it, but if you think so, lemme know).

Any other advises regarding brightness and be-kind-to-your-eyes-stuff is also welcome. So far I've installed www.sharpfonts.com, but it's too soon to say if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-10-14 04:53:56

cjpembo

Re: Help me buy a new computer suitable for Arch

Try ambient backlighting.  I purchased a 22" lcd last year and it was like staring into oncoming headlights.  So I simply installed ambient lighting around the display.  Now the display is not that much brighter than the rest of my desk.  It worked quite nicely releiving my eye strain.

#3 2008-10-14 05:32:32

mr_lou

Thanks for the reply. It's a good suggestion. I have also noticed how it seems to be evening/night problems more than a day-problem, most probably because of the daytime lighting.
But I've also noticed, that when switching to my Windoze test-box, using a switchbox and the same monitor, the light is very different and more calm. I don't get that.
I've asked around, and it shouldn't be caused by the graphics card, and since it's the same monitor with the same settings, there's only the OS's left to blame.
There's a setting in X called Display Settings, where I can set R G B Gamma Correction. No matter where I set this, something just seems wrong. Can I ask what your Gamma Correction is set to?

I talked with a computer-shop yesterday, and he told me that there are basically two different class monitors. My Phillips 190S belongs in the first category, and then there's another category which offers some kind of backlight which should give a calmer picture. Do you know if your 22" has this backlight thingy?

#4 2008-10-14 23:44:27

cjpembo

When I talk about backlighting I mean I purchased some flourescent lighting and installed it in near my monitor to increase the overall ambient lighting in the room.  In other words, I'm not sitting in the dark.  Perhaps you're having more problems with your eyes at night, not due to decreased ambient lighting, but simply because your eyes are tired at the end of the day?

If you can, give your eyes a rest for a few days.  If you're over the age of 30, enlarge your fonts:).

#5 2008-10-15 07:42:28

Mashi

I have a dell 2007fp monitor. Most of the time I keep set the brightness to 0% (via the monitor menu, xbacklight doesnt work), and I wish it would go lower. I also tune the color settings down a bit, and I have a red tint (high color temp). When there's alot of light coming in through the windows I have to turn it up a bit or else I can't hardly see it.

I'd reiterate whate another poster said, set up some ambient lighting around the back of the monitor, this will send the message to your brain that there's lots of light around and your pupils will contract, so the screen will not seem as bright.

#6 2008-10-15 10:50:48

mr_lou

Thanks for the answers.

I'll definitely look into that flourescent lighting thingy, although I think/thought I had enough light around me already.
I have also tried having brightness at 0, and even contrast at 0 also. Also using the nvidia settings.

Anyway, it would seem I've found one of the reasons. Apparently, for some weird reason, Arch hasn't offered me 60hz, but rather lower odd numbers such as 53hz. So I've been using a rather lower frequency, which logically should explain at least some of the reason.
While Windows lets me go as high as 75hz with this current 17" monitor I've tried instead of my 19" monitor, Arch won't even let me have 60hz. I've tried various xorg.conf settings, and even got one mailed to me which doesn't change anything. So that's two monitors I've tried where Arch doesn't deliver the hz I want, but where Windows does fine and more. That can't be right. I'm using the nvidia drivers, and have tried two graphics cards.

I'm buying a better monitor regardless though, something that's extra kind to the eyes somehow. I'm thinking 19-22" with some fancy techniques to reduce whatever it tough on the eyes. Maybe a fresh install of Arch will help getting the hz needed. I need to do that anyway on the new computer.
I also tried booting Ubuntu from a CD to check how that seemed, and while the Ubuntu desktop and fonts did seem more calm and eye-friendly, I must admit I'd been looking at it too much at that time to be sure I wasn't just kidding myself.

Board footer