You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-15 20:37:16

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Electronic beats

I'm a true beginner in the world of music production, and I would like to start off with experimenting some electronic beats, but I am unable to find out how to do it. All I could find so far was Hydrogen, but that is more like a real drumset (I tried applying some effects, but I don't see any change).

Now, you musicians, how do you produce electronic beats on Linux?

(Apologies if this thread sounds nonsensical to the experts)

Thanks for your time smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-10-15 22:09:29

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Electronic beats

Ah, I just found Hydrogen has drumkits, and that's a big step forward... I guess I should start messing with frequences and stuff now...

Any other suggestions are always welcome smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-10-15 22:38:58

peets
Website

I'd be interested in this as well.

I guess there's two ways to go:
1. Use audio samples + eq + effects
2. Use a virtual oscillator and make your own drum sound

Either way, the part that's still very mysterious to me is how to most easily arrange them in time. You know, the "beat" part.

#4 2008-10-15 22:41:16

haxit
Website

FruityLoops is really good.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#5 2008-10-15 23:12:35

coarseSand

And also Windows only, not sure about its Wine capability. Arduous may also be worth looking at, but I haven't dug into the program very much.

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#6 2008-10-15 23:14:56

Wintervenom

I am using the latest development version of OpenMPT via Wine.  I would be happy if I could find a native tracker with a better sequence editor -- copying and pasting pattens that I want to repeat somewhere gets messy.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-08-05 14:08:53)

#7 2008-10-15 23:15:09

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

FL Studio (FruityLoops) is great imo too. The only problem there is the price tag.

Take a look at LMMS (in the community repo). I think it openly aims to be an FL Studio clone and does a relatively good job of it. Think of LMMS vs FL Studio as Gimp vs Photoshop... it still has a way to go, but it's probably good enough for most purposes.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#8 2008-10-16 07:16:29

bangkok_manouel

peets wrote:

Either way, the part that's still very mysterious to me is how to most easily arrange them in time. You know, the "beat" part.

i guess the easiest way would be to loop 1 or 2 bars and start with that.
just put the hi-hats first, every 1/8 note
then place the kick, first note of each mesure and then the snare at half mesure.

ok, now we have a _very_ basic beat, just play with that, add some out of time snares and/or kicks if you want it to be a break beat... play with velocity+pitch (slightly) to make it sound live.

don't hesitate to use ghost notes, notes with a very low velocity that you almost do not hear but they'll fill the beat and make it more rollin'.
you can also layer your samples: use a dry snare with short attack coupled with a loooong attack snare with delay.

if you're into complex breaks, you can also use some breakbeat samples and filter them to let only the high frequencies, you'll get the groove of the beat but you won't notice it once the track is done. but it makes the difference. do not hesitate to cut, paste, edit your samples to make them sound original.

time for infamous hi-jacking now tongue

-----------------OFF-TOPIC-----------------
finferflu, thanks for the unintentional honey-pot! so, please, everyone in this thread, please have a look here:  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=53025
finferflu, do not forget, as a mod, you have to show the way!
thank y'all
-----------------OFF-TOPIC-----------------

Board footer