You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-17 15:24:49

LeoSolaris

[SOLVED-SORTA UGLY THOUGH] Odd ball issue with the new kernel...

I am not even sure how to show log files for this one, so I will just describe what's happening.

When I restarted after the upgrade, and every restart/shutdown,power up there after, when I initially log into gnome, my Intel wireless N (4965) shows that I am connected to my wireless, however nothing will actually connect. Not a browser (Firefox/Epiphany), pacman, weather applet in AWN... nothing. Conky does show that I am connected with an IP, just like wicd shows that I am connected with an IP address.

It's fixable by disconnecting from the network and reconnecting. Then everything works...  except the weather applet in AWN. I know I could just remove it and put some weather-y bit in my conky, but I rather like the weather display in AWN.

I wonder if it is worth it to mention that I have been having this same issue in Windows XP for about a month now.

I would roll back to the older kernel, but to be honest, I haven't the faintest how. Since I have today off, that is my project, learning how to roll back packages in pacman. (If anyone has any pointers, I have not yet started my search in the wiki for this info.)

I would rather keep the new kernel because it boots faster, and except for this glitch, seems to work better, too.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-10-17 16:36:31)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2008-10-17 15:36:19

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: [SOLVED-SORTA UGLY THOUGH] Odd ball issue with the new kernel...

If you have the same problem in 2 different OSs, it's a hardware issue.

#3 2008-10-17 16:30:29

LeoSolaris

Re: [SOLVED-SORTA UGLY THOUGH] Odd ball issue with the new kernel...

True, usually I would think that as well, but it doesn't have the issue in Ubuntu, on the same machine.

I certainly hope it is not a hardware issue... that's the part that gets expensive.

Update: Strangely enough, I found a "fix" for AWN's weather applet...  restart AWN. I discovered it by accident when I restarted AWN to refresh it's menu.

I discovered how to roll back to the prior kernel, however, I no longer have the prior kernel in my cache. I think I will just sit on this and wait for an update that will likely fix the issue, since I now know how to restore functionality, without having to roll back the kernel.

Thank y'all anyways, and if anyone comes up with a prettier solution, please drop me a line!

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-10-17 16:35:42)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

Board footer