You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-17 17:24:40

LeoSolaris

[UGLY WORK-AROUND]Weird sound control

Issue: The volume control is supper touchy. All of the sound is muted by the 4th step down when I use the multimedia buttons. There are 16 steps total.

I am using PulseAudio, after a switch over from alsa for this exact reason. PulseAudio didn't fix it like I had hoped. Something that Ubuntu did when they switched to PulseAudio in 8.04 gave me full range of control for my audio buttons. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here. I followed the wiki in installing PulseAudio, and restarted...  I get sound, so that's not an issue.

This is on an Inspiron 1520 (which is the same sound card for a wide range of Dell laptops...  the HD audio. I don't have the name handy.)

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-10-30 16:27:22)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2008-10-30 16:26:44

LeoSolaris

Re: [UGLY WORK-AROUND]Weird sound control

Small bump and a side note:

I switched back to ALSA after playing with PulseAudio's settings.

I noticed that the culprit in this is that the volume up and down moved all of the sound outputs up and down, rather than just the Master or even just the speaker outputs. Currently I have no idea how to tell it to just move one rather than all of them.

To replicate, open sound mixer in the menu, set the options on sound mixer so they show everything (check all of the little boxes) and then on a Sigmatel HD Audio (installed on the Inspiron 1520 and other Dell laptops) push the volume up and down hotkeys on the front of the computer. Everything will move rather than just one of them.

If I set everything but Master Volume up, then move Master volume up and down, I get perfect sound control. So it is just the use of the hotkeys on the front of my laptop that have this bug.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

Board footer