You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-19 10:08:54

Ibex

Latest nvidia driver makes fans go loud

Hi all,

Since the nvidia 177-80 driver, my fanspeed is increased very much as soon as X starts (thus the driver got loaded). In normal conditions before the upgrade, my fanspeed was almost whispering quit, with a GPU temperature of about 60 degrees. With the 177-80 drivers (tested both packageversion 1 and 2) the fans go loud and the temperature drops to about 50 degrees.

The problem is that I don't want a loud PC. So I can't upgrade to the .27 kernel, nor to the latest wireless drivers and so on, just because the nvidia drivers don't seems to work normally.

Does anyone knows if this is just a bug, when it would be fixed if it's already reported, of how I can make my fanspeed normal again with thoose new drivers. Can't tune them with nvclock btw, because the chip doesn't support my card.

Info:
- Laptop Dell Latitude D630
- Arch 64
- Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M

Regards,

Ibex

#2 2008-10-22 15:30:49

kaiiserni
Website

Re: Latest nvidia driver makes fans go loud

Have the same problem on my Dell XPS M1330 notebook.
My compiz was stuttering as well after the upgrade!

Had to downgrade my nvidia drivers + kernel again sad

Arch linux since 2007
Dell XPS M1330
-- In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? --

#3 2008-10-22 17:00:24

rumil

Hmm... I also have 177.80 and Dell m1330 and don't have the problem with fans running constantly full speed (I run 32-bit Arch)... but I have 'video' module blacklisted in my rc.conf (as I recall It caused brightness to go every second step for me) - maybe try unloading video module (or blacklisting it).

#4 2008-10-23 18:59:34

kaiiserni
Website

Today I tried installing the upgrades again,
the problem continued, I removed some options in my Xorg config but didn't help.
After that I upgraded my bios and ... YES, it worked!

hope that helps for you as well!?

thanks

Arch linux since 2007
Dell XPS M1330

#5 2008-10-24 05:24:30

Ibex

How did you upgrade your BIOS? the upgrade is a .exe file, so I suppose I need Windows just for the upgrade?

Allright, found software to do this. It deems like I'm running a very old BIOS, lets upgrade smile.

Important update: It worked! Thanks! It seems to be the combination between the new Nvidia driver and the BIOS update smile. Since the BIOS update my fan is a little bit louder, but when the new Nvidia driver loads, the fan stays equally smile.

Last edited by Ibex (2008-10-24 05:50:40)

#6 2008-10-25 13:02:24

kaiiserni
Website

Ibex wrote:

How did you upgrade your BIOS? the upgrade is a .exe file, so I suppose I need Windows just for the upgrade?

Allright, found software to do this. It deems like I'm running a very old BIOS, lets upgrade smile.

Important update: It worked! Thanks! It seems to be the combination between the new Nvidia driver and the BIOS update smile. Since the BIOS update my fan is a little bit louder, but when the new Nvidia driver loads, the fan stays equally smile.

Hi Ibex, I'm glad that it helped you as well. cool

Arch linux since 2007
Dell XPS M1330

#7 2008-10-26 22:22:17

Leigh

On my Dell xps600 desktop running arch64, After the kernel upgrade, my fans were going crazy and I kept seeing a warning when system would boot. Something about time being set in the future and attempting to fix. Not sure what that was all about, but flashing my bios put my system back to normal. The bios update for my system was DXG51A11 (from version A07)

Incidentally, I tried numerous times to flash my bios using the biosdisk tool in aur, Each time I would be faced with a A:\ dos prompt. Using Dir command, I could never find the .exe update file. I followed instructions to a T and just could never get the bios update to initiate. Out of frustration, I decided to burn a old winxp live cd I found on the net (Windows XP Live Edition). Executing the bios update from the live cd worked fine, and the bios updated during the next system boot. I also used the live cd to update the firmware for my sony cdrw drive. As depressing as it was to watch my system boot winxp, it turned out to be very handy, at least for firmware.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Board footer