You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-20 10:59:47

chochem
Website

QGtkStyle and Opera?

I noticed a post about QGtkStyle and promptly installed it. There is precious little documentation here, so I tried various qt* commands and qtconfig seemed to be the right one (at least it let me select a GUI style named 'GTK' and the qtconfig application itself changed to reflect my gtk theme). However, I cannot seem to get Opera to adopt this look. I have changed the 'Apperance option' to 'Qt native' but that just makes it looks 'windows 2000'-y.  According the repository it does depend on Qt 4.4 so the QGtkStyle thing should work for it (right?) Anybody with any experience in this?

#2 2008-10-20 12:13:14

jbache

Re: QGtkStyle and Opera?

Opera currently only provides static Qt builds for 4.4. This means it cannot use QGtkStyle. This can only change once they decide to release shared Qt 4 builds or when Qt 4.5 is available and Opera is built with it.

#3 2008-10-20 12:17:48

Rasi
Website

actually one of the snapshots had shared qt... build number

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2008-10-20 14:22:49

chochem
Website

Okay thanks for the replies, guys - guess I'll just wait until either one hits the repos.

#5 2008-10-20 20:35:40

Rasi
Website

chochem wrote:

Okay thanks for the replies, guys - guess I'll just wait until either one hits the repos.

opera-devel-qt4 is in aur... pkgbuild also has instructions how to get the shared version

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2008-10-20 23:00:12

chochem
Website

Thanks for the tip, Rasi. I didn't find instructions but I just changed the _build variable and the source url and produced some new md5 sums and it installed nicely. Still, it's not a pretty sight - Opera still does way too many things according to it's own ideas (scrollbars, tabs, toolbars,icons) and the rest is glitchy. Or maybe it's just qgtkstyle shortcomings - the only other Qt app I have is the virtualbox gui and that looks very nice, though. Anyhow, nice to see that efforts are being made - it's the greatest stand-alone browser, there is, so it's a shame, it's so darn ugly.... smile

#7 2008-10-21 09:41:55

jbache

The same glitches seem to apply to other Qt styles so it's unlikely caused by QGtkstyle itself. Opera does not use the standard Qt widget set, and their native theme is actually emulating Qt widgets in the same way that QGtkStyle is emulating Gtk+. I'm guessing it will get some more polish in the future though as the native theme feature is still fairly new.

Board footer