You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-21 08:57:16

icetonic

[SOLVED] Fluxbox menu doesn't work properly + OpenOffice crashes

Since yesterday the fluxbox menu is some kind of broken. That means I can open/close/navigate the menu, but when I click on a program to start it, the menu simply closes and does nothing. Starting programs on any other way works (e.g. iDesk). But for example the submenu for configuring fluxbox works (Panel, Slit etc. options). I already tried to make new menus myself or generate new ones - the same thing...

My second problem is, that after I start openoffice (3.0), it tells me that there was an unexpected error and that its going to do document recovery, showing me no documents to recover, and after clicking ok there can happen two things - either the progressbar in the splash reaches 100% but after this this splash stays there for ever (of course not opening openoffice) or I get back after a few seconds back to this recovery dialog...

EDIT: Well... After completely reinstalling gnome openoffice worked again -.- It would be nice if somebody could tell me which package(s) exactly was missing... The point is, I don't want to have the whole gnome installed when I'm using just a few gnome/gtk programs... My Fluxbox menu still doesn't work

I really don't know what to do, I searched the web and the forum but haven't found anything... Normally I do find what I search - this is the first time I really need help neutral

I know only that the last things I've done before I noticed that things happing was:
installing/removing packages (I removed a lot of gnome stuff)

emptying the /tmp (I was desperate because of yaourt and wanted it to download a PKGBUILD AGAIN but it always "resumed the previous build" so I was so stupid not to look what there might be else in tmp and emptied it completely not knowing the consequences - are there any?)

EDIT2: Well... I solved my fluxbox problem - I replaced it with openbox...

Last edited by icetonic (2008-10-21 12:21:29)

#2 2008-10-22 03:19:00

pseudonomous

Re: [SOLVED] Fluxbox menu doesn't work properly + OpenOffice crashes

I don't know if this was the problem with fluxbox, but the defualt fluxbox menu is not generated based off what programs you have installed, nor is the packaged "generate menu" tool very good, you pretty much have to manuelly edit the menu to get the programs in that you want and take out the entries that correspond to programs that you don't have installed.

Anecdotal story:

You might find this annoying, or you might like having control over your menu, incidentally the first time I installed fluxbox, using Ubuntu at the time, I didn't have a menu at ALL and the only thing I could do was "ctrl alt backspace" to get out of fluxbox by killing X ... but then XDM would restart which was only configured to let me log back into fluxbux.  I ended up re-installling Ubuntu and using fvwm instead.  I know now that there were better ways to have dealt with this (like booting to a superuser session) but at the time I didn't.

#3 2008-10-22 18:29:33

icetonic

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not such a noob (I just didn't know where else to post such a problem)... and I've written that I already tried to make new menus myself or generate new ones which didn't help... First I thought there could be something wrong with my PATH variable but calling the programs by name from a terminal works so that can't be the problem... Well, but now it doesn't matter anymore (although it's quite interesting why that happened) -

Now I'm quite happy with OpenBox and LXPanel although I liked the Fluxbox menu syntax much more because it was human smile I am too lazy atm to learn the XML syntax, which is generally good, but much too complicated for a menu (but seem to be powerful)... I'd really like to include the menumaker generated menu in a submenu and do the rest on my own...

And openoffice - I found out which package(s) exactly was missing - it was one of the both dependencies of epiphany (I assume isocodes)... after removing epiphany with it both deps OO refused to work, after reinstalling it worked perfectly again... So now I wonder why the openoffice package doesn't require this package(s) as a dependency... Is it a bug or does it have a reason?

And If someone can tell me how to include the menumaker menu from another file (like the include command in fluxbox)  - please tell me smile

Last edited by icetonic (2008-10-22 18:32:34)

#4 2008-11-24 00:18:41

ninian
Website

icetonic wrote:

My second problem is, that after I start openoffice (3.0), it tells me that there was an unexpected error and that its going to do document recovery, showing me no documents to recover, and after clicking ok there can happen two things - either the progressbar in the splash reaches 100% but after this this splash stays there for ever (of course not opening openoffice) or I get back after a few seconds back to this recovery dialog...

That's exactly the problem I get with OOo 3.0.3 running on KDE 3.5.9! However, I can open up OOo with Math or Draw and then open an existing document okay (usually?).

I tried installing the iso-codes package but it changed nothing. But I don't want to install a whole lot of GNOME dependencies to experiment as I have very little spare space on the computer involved.

hmm Does anyone know what's happening or what's missing?!

Board footer