You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-21 21:31:57

ninian
Website

OpenOffice.org 3.0: No way of properly migrating profile from v2.4?

I've upgraded OpenOffice.org to version 3.0 and can find no formal way of migrating my version 2.4 profile to the new version. From http://openofficedocs.wordpress.com/200 … on-ubuntu/ it appears that when you run soffice for the first time, the initial welcome / registration / etc dialogue should display an option to "transfer personal data" from an earlier OOo version. However, this welcome dialogue never appears, regardless of whether the earlier version is uninstalled, its profile is deleted, or v3.0 re-installed, etc. Soffice always opens immediately with the "create a new document" menu.

Unofficially, I've just copied over the old ~/.openoffice.org2/user directory to the new ~/.openoffice.org/3 directory and it seems to work okay now, but this might cause problems in the future. hmm

#2 2009-04-14 09:02:48

cb474

Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0: No way of properly migrating profile from v2.4?

Yeah, I'd really like to know how to do this as well. I read about the dialogue for migrating personal data, in other forums, but also do not have it appear when I run OOo. So I also just copied my "user" folder from .openoffice.org2 to .openoffice.org/3 and similarly am not experiencing any problems, but wonder if that will last. Perhaps my situation is simplified since I pretty much only ever user Writer.

#3 2009-04-14 13:25:29

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0: No way of properly migrating profile from v2.4?

I had similar problems for several years every now and then when I had to set up OOO anew after system breakdowns.

Finally I resorted to copy all sound looking settings manually directory by directory from the old to the new configuration directories. Until now there were no problems, yet there is no guarantee that formats will stay compatible.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer