You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 01:18:44

banshee28

Help..kernel panic after upgrade to 2.6.27

I upgraded from the original "cd" kernel 2.6.25 and installed compiz. After a while i rebooted and it hangs on startup. I tried the "fallback" but it also hangs. I am new to linux (lol) so not sure what to do. I guess this is similar to a bsod roll

/init:  36 replace: not found
export: 36 bad variable name
kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!

here is a link to my post in the deskptop area : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57488

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#2 2008-10-22 04:27:09

Onwards

Re: Help..kernel panic after upgrade to 2.6.27

Your kernel cmd-line is badly formatted, please post it here. I know u can't boot into your system, but u can still see it from the grub-menu on system boot. When ur system is abt. to boot up, press 'e' to enter the grub-shell. Then 've a peek at ur kernel cmd-line and post it here.

Ok DISCARD what's quoted above. This problem isn't about badly formatted kernel cmd-line. Sorry for leading you astray (If I have, which i guess i have) !!:/

This problem was reported earlier as well (against 2.6.25) and was never resolved. It's about early-user-space (about klibc and friends). May be some real guru would jump in and help you out smile

Last edited by Onwards (2008-10-22 13:34:24)

#3 2008-10-22 10:33:47

dreamer_

I have the same issue, cmd-line:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/[uuid] ro vga=773
initrd /kernel26.img

fallback line (also generates kernel panic):

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/[same uuid] ro
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

can it be wrong uuid? how can I find the correct one?

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

#4 2008-10-23 02:36:03

banshee28

Onwards wrote:

Your kernel cmd-line is badly formatted, please post it here. I know u can't boot into your system, but u can still see it from the grub-menu on system boot. When ur system is abt. to boot up, press 'e' to enter the grub-shell. Then 've a peek at ur kernel cmd-line and post it here.

Ok DISCARD what's quoted above. This problem isn't about badly formatted kernel cmd-line. Sorry for leading you astray (If I have, which i guess i have) !!:/

This problem was reported earlier as well (against 2.6.25) and was never resolved. It's about early-user-space (about klibc and friends). May be some real guru would jump in and help you out smile

Ok, just in case here is the config:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6ae88909-19ac-41e8-856a-2951
initrd /kernel26.img

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#5 2008-10-23 08:48:38

vor_lord

I have the same problem -- it appears that klib-extras is not working somehow.  I originally had the problem listed at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 86#p438786 and did the mkinitcpio suggested there.  Then I arrived at the :

36:  replace:  command not found error

I did another chroot and reinstalled the latest klib* packages from the cache but that didn't solve the problem.  I can see that replace is there in /usr/lib/klibc/bin.

I'm a little lost looking in here, but this describes my problem perfectly.  I was running 2.6.26.6 when doing the upgrade.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11757

Unfortunately I don't have a bootable system at present.  Although I have not tried rebuilding the fallback image yet.

edit:  Solved thanks to help in the bug thread linked above

Last edited by vor_lord (2008-10-24 04:33:57)

#6 2008-10-23 18:16:34

daf666
Website

Confirming these issues and override, kernel panic today after installing today on a new server:

1. Fresh installation from 2008.6
2. Pacman -Syu = klibc failure
3. Pacman -Rd klibc
4. Pacman -Syu
5. Reboot = panic
6. Boot from CD, chroot
7. Mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel26.img -k 2.6.27-ARCH (or it will think u use 2.6.25)
8. Reboot = ok

#7 2008-10-24 08:35:44

dreamer_

ok, I kinda repaired my system by getting back to older kernel smile posts on other forums weren't so helpful so what I did:
ingredients:
1 Arch live cd (or different distro, you only need ability of running pacman)
1 (at least) older kernel in your pacman cache
1 calm head
knowledge of your filesystem
passion for linux and a little bit of pepper smile

start by bootting Arch live cd and login as root
now let's mount your root directory ('/') (mine is sda6, your most probably will be different):

$ mkdir sda && mount /dev/sda6 sda

if u keep content of your /boot on different partition then you will have to mount it, too (mine is sda1):

$ mount /dev/sda1 sda/boot

ok, now lets use pacman to install your old kernel on your system:

$ pacman -r sda -U sda/var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel_older_pkg

this will make pacman update packages under sda tree - it will moan about /boot looking weird, but it's ok
you may want to roll back to older versions of some other packages (I had to reinstall nvidia drivers), but it depends on your system
now reboot

$ shutdown -r 0

you have bootable Arch again

good luck smile

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

#8 2008-10-24 20:53:34

banshee28

dreamer_ wrote:

ok, I kinda repaired my system by getting back to older kernel smile posts on other forums weren't so helpful so what I did:
ingredients:
1 Arch live cd (or different distro, you only need ability of running pacman)
1 (at least) older kernel in your pacman cache
1 calm head
knowledge of your filesystem
passion for linux and a little bit of pepper smile

start by bootting Arch live cd and login as root
now let's mount your root directory ('/') (mine is sda6, your most probably will be different):

$ mkdir sda && mount /dev/sda6 sda

if u keep content of your /boot on different partition then you will have to mount it, too (mine is sda1):

$ mount /dev/sda1 sda/boot

ok, now lets use pacman to install your old kernel on your system:

$ pacman -r sda -U sda/var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel_older_pkg

this will make pacman update packages under sda tree - it will moan about /boot looking weird, but it's ok
you may want to roll back to older versions of some other packages (I had to reinstall nvidia drivers), but it depends on your system
now reboot

$ shutdown -r 0

you have bootable Arch again

good luck smile

I am attempting to try this, but cant verify my boot partion since df -h only shows the live cd info:
unionfs   /
non  /dev/shm

How can I verify my root and boot partition locations? neutral

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

Board footer