You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 01:47:05

cardinals_fan

sakura + updated vte = blinking cursor

I have the Sakura terminal emulator installed from the AUR.  Since today's update of vte, which is utilized by Sakura, I'm getting a blinking prompt in the terminal.  This is driving me completely insane.  I know that it can be disabled by running with the -b option when executing vte - is there any way to have Sakura do this automatically, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#2 2008-11-27 16:20:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: sakura + updated vte = blinking cursor

cardinals_fan wrote:

I have the Sakura terminal emulator installed from the AUR.  Since today's update of vte, which is utilized by Sakura, I'm getting a blinking prompt in the terminal.  This is driving me completely insane.  I know that it can be disabled by running with the -b option when executing vte - is there any way to have Sakura do this automatically, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Still waiting?

Grab the sakura folder from ABS (/var/abs/community/x11/sakura) and put it somewhere where you have write permissions. Run 'makepkg -o' to pull and extract the sources only. Add the following line in the initialization section of src/sakura-2.3.2/src/sakura.c (line 2020 is a good place):

vte_terminal_set_cursor_blink_mode(term->vte, VTE_CURSOR_BLINK_OFF);

When finished run 'makepkg -e' in the directory with the PKGBUILD. This will cure the blinking cursor.

Also, starting at line 1661 there is the right-click menu order. You can move items around here. I bumped copy and paste (plus the separator) right after the open link stuff. Now copy is on top unless I'm on top of a link.

I'm not going to add this to AUR. I will file a feature request for the cursor stuff though. I'll also write a patch when I have time. I don't do it much, so it may take some time.

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-27 16:32:56)

#3 2008-11-27 17:42:14

pressh
Developer/TU

skottish wrote:

I'm not going to add this to AUR. I will file a feature request for the cursor stuff though. I'll also write a patch when I have time. I don't do it much, so it may take some time.

Don't worry about the patch, I got it covered.

About the feature request, please file one upstream if there is none already.

#4 2008-11-28 02:06:45

skottish
Forum Fellow

Thanks for the update pressh.

I'll file upstream requests for the optional blinking cursor, for colored URLs, middle click to launch URLs, and at least suggest right click menu ordering. That last one will probably add too much complexity though.

#5 2008-12-13 19:11:47

skottish
Forum Fellow

I got a response from the Sakura dev on these requests. An option to toggle the blinking cursor is going to be added. He doesn't care about colored URLs, so probably no on that one. An option to launch links without the menu was added to the source tree. And, as I already guessed, user configurable menus are too complex. But, he's going to look into reordering them so that the most common features are going to be on top.

Board footer