You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 02:52:18

pogeymanz

I need C++ challenges to keep sharp...

Does anyone know of some website or book or whatever that has C++ tasks laid out in some order of increasing difficulty?

I feel my skills slipping and I'm forgetting fundamental things like how to create/manipulate namespaces and header files because it's something I never have to do.

My C++ textbook is pretty awful for building skills. I would like something that gives me a detailed goal for a program to write, but in a way that I know what level of difficulty to expect.

Am I making any sense? I want something like a game- Level 1: Write a program that does *blank* and here is a sample output to check your correctness...

#2 2008-10-22 03:56:27

wirenik

Re: I need C++ challenges to keep sharp...

There may be better solutions out there, but maybe Project Euler?

Last edited by wirenik (2008-10-22 03:56:58)

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#3 2008-10-22 06:20:05

pauldonnelly

IMO, C++ belongs in reference manuals, not in my head. But if you really want to do this to your brain, how about coming up with a medium-term project that will give you a chance to practice? Lots of people like to make games, for example.

#4 2008-10-22 06:54:22

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Memorizing a programming language is quite a waste of time as when it comes to programming it is not syntax that's the important thing to learn. However, practising problem solving is quite useful and as such project euler can be pretty interesting.

I think that:

pogeymanz wrote:

I want something like a game- Level 1: Write a program that does *blank* and here is a sample output to check your correctness...

is quite silly as there are always multiple ways to write syntax to solve any problem.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#5 2008-10-22 10:55:09

dav7

Write a tiny semi-UNIX-conformant ELF-compatible kernel in C++?

Make an IRC server? A web server?

Patch some of urxvt's bugs (if it has any tongue)?

Make a simple Pong game? For that UNIX-ish OS? big_smile

Write a HTML rendering engine? With CSS and JS support (using the V8 engine)?

Make an C++ widget set that puts the OS X feel into Linux by way of awesome animation(s)? Write GTK and QT pass-through libraries for this widget set?

Make an 8086 CPU emulator? And make that UNIX-ish OS work on it? big_smile

I think I should stop now. tongue

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-22 10:56:22)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#6 2008-10-22 10:56:32

Majorix

wirenik wrote:

There may be better solutions out there, but maybe Project Euler?

+1. Also there is the Python Challenge.

#7 2008-10-22 11:38:45

pogeymanz

Zeist wrote:

Memorizing a programming language is quite a waste of time as when it comes to programming it is not syntax that's the important thing to learn. However, practising problem solving is quite useful and as such project euler can be pretty interesting.

I think that:

pogeymanz wrote:

I want something like a game- Level 1: Write a program that does *blank* and here is a sample output to check your correctness...

is quite silly as there are always multiple ways to write syntax to solve any problem.

You guys misunderstand my intentions. I have no desire to just memorize a bunch of syntax. I want to strengthen my problem solving ability with C++. Project Euler looks pretty fun and is pretty close to what I was looking for.

As for the "game" I described, it wouldn't give an answer source code, it would give an answer output. For example, it might ask you to write a program that outputs every third odd number, then it would give you a list of every third odd number as your answer key. This is kind of how a programming class I took was: They gave us a description of the program, then gave us a sample input and output and we had to write it so that it would work with any input.

Board footer