You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 03:53:19

LeoSolaris

The new gnome is great! just one little issue...

Given all of the things that could have broke, I consider this to be extremely minuscule, but it bugs me.

I am used to pushing the power button on my laptop to bring up the shut off menu, however, after the upgrade (and an accidental hibernation that my laptop still doesn't like) the menu it brings up is simply "Log out of system now? You will be automatically logged out in 60 seconds" I have to go through the menu to actually get to the power off option.

Now,this may be something that I triggered because of having to do a hard shut down because of the hibernation. It used to resume, sort of... now it just freezes. I don't care at all about hibernation on this Dell 1520, so that isn't a problem to me.

I like the new power off menu, it is nicely minimalist, which fits well with my normal style.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2008-10-22 04:02:43

pjjanak

Re: The new gnome is great! just one little issue...

Well, if you go into Gconf editor and go to apps>gnome-power-manager>buttons, you can set what to do on power button with more options given. Unfortunately, it seems like "interactive" is now just the logout menu.

Peter

#3 2008-10-22 04:11:56

LeoSolaris

pjjanak wrote:

Well, if you go into Gconf editor and go to apps>gnome-power-manager>buttons, you can set what to do on power button with more options given. Unfortunately, it seems like "interactive" is now just the logout menu.

Peter

Well thank ya! I had a feeling it would be in the gconf editor somewhere. I am still memorizing where things are in the editor.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#4 2008-10-22 06:35:30

amranu

How do you get the new power off menu? Mine is really screwed up.. gnome can't even shut down or restart for me, nor suspend or hibernate. Hell I can't even tell it to suspend when I close the lid of my laptop hmm

Last edited by amranu (2008-10-22 06:36:58)

#5 2008-10-30 16:16:46

LeoSolaris

Try the gconf method described above, and if that doesn't work, and the normal menu button that is in the panel menu doesn't bring up the off interactive screen... head over to gnome's website and file a bug report. Their forum (if they have one) may have a few more answers.

You could also try making your own thread here on Arch Forums to see if anyone knows anything.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#6 2008-10-30 20:45:46

grasshopper

My gnome-power-manager 2.24.1 has the same issue...   Even, if it's not a big problem, it's annoying. In the gconf-editor, gnome-power-manager is already set to interactive.
Ubuntu fixed this problem in Gnome 2.24 with one of the last updates for 8.10, will it be fixed also in Arch..in the near future?

#7 2008-10-30 23:17:02

JGC
Developer

I think http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11851 is interesting for you. I'll do some work on hal soon, then this bug should be fixed.

#8 2008-10-31 01:00:04

LeoSolaris

Cool, I got a Dev to talk on my thread!

Thanks JGC for the update on what's actually going on. I will be on the watch for a hal update.

By the way, thank you for the awesome work. Arch rocks!

Arch is, for all of it's quarks, more stable and less glitchy than my new install of Windows Server 2008 running with "Desktop Experience" enabled. (Almost the same as Vista, but actually faster. Boots in just 40 seconds, the games are graphically better, and it's permission scheme is more like Linux's. It's like a Vista 1.5. Still a little off just because it is Windows, but definitely improved over the standard user edition.)

I really hope that the graphics card makers stop jerking us Linux guys around and let us actually have the real, fully powered drivers.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#9 2008-10-31 20:30:56

HermanChess

also the volume bar stays up even when you click something else.

#10 2008-11-01 14:11:21

mrunion
Website

Yeah, I really do wish the volume bar would go away!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#11 2008-11-03 13:39:29

LeoSolaris

HermanChess wrote:

also the volume bar stays up even when you click something else.

That would be a separate issue. Why don't you start a thread on it, because there might be a fix out there, and just appending it to the end of a thread for a completely different issue is not likely to get anyone that knows how to fix it to respond.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#12 2008-11-03 13:57:11

Heller_Barde

LeoSolaris wrote:

I really hope that the graphics card makers stop jerking us Linux guys around and let us actually have the real, fully powered drivers.

the sad truth is that they really have no real reason to... afaik the market share of linux is still below (or around) 1% on the desktop market...
and additionally we're not really making it easy by changing stuff inside the Xserver all the time (not that i actually had any idea what they actually change, i'm no big C programmer... big_smile
it's sad but kinda true hmm

cheers Barde

Board footer