You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-23 14:44:54

nan

Correct way of starting compiz fusion on GNOME

This is actually a really minor issue, but something that has been irritating me for a while.

I've experimented with two ways of starting compiz fusion, first adding fusion-icon to the session startup list. However, this results in metacity being loaded and then compiz fusion being loaded afterwards, which created this flicker which I don't really like.

The second way is adding another xsession that sets WINDOW_MANAGER to something else and then starting the gnome session. On Gnome 2.22 this works somewhat. If I set WINDOW_MANAGER to "compiz ccp" everything works fine, except that it doesn't load emerald and doesn't start with loose-bindings (expected). Then I tried setting it to "compiz ccp --loose-bindings"; this caused it to hang at the gnome splash screen for a good 2-3 minutes, also anyting else other than "compiz ccp" caused the same hang. Setting it to fusion-icon, or compiz-manager, also caused the same hang.

Now on Gnome 2.24, the WINDOW_MANAGER var doesn't seem to do anything anymore, and the only way I can start compiz before the gnome session is to run compiz ccp &, fusion-icon &, etc. before exec gnome-session. This however, causes my screen to go black and hang for about a few minutes before working normally.

Am I doing something wrong? I want compiz fusion to be used as my window manager instead of metacity, is there no easy way of doing that? or do I have to resort to loading metacity and then replacing it with compiz fusion?

Thanks.
--Nan

#2 2008-10-23 16:04:31

max.bra

Re: Correct way of starting compiz fusion on GNOME

you are right, with this gnome it's difficult to start compiz before gnome-session.

but it's not true that gnome-wm does no more it's job.
WINDOW_MANAGER env var is considered in the process.

if you take a look to gnome-wm script you'll see that [ -z $WINDOW_MANAGER] & Co. already exist

but after that, a

basename $WINDOW_MANAGER will parse the main binary of the window manager adding
indirect rendering and somewhat else (sorry, i'm not on my box) that maybe cause problem to
the correct execution of compiz

i think that the only way to compiz a gnome desktop now without modify any package file is
compiz fusion icon. sad, but true...

#3 2008-10-23 16:23:42

bwalk

In the gconf-editor in /apps/metacity/general, disable compositing_manager. Compiz should be able to replace metacity again.

#4 2008-10-23 17:58:06

max.bra

the topic is how correctly start compiz BEFORE AND IN PLACE of metacity

not

how to start compiz in --replace mode

#5 2008-10-23 18:04:47

nan

Also tried a method similiar to this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 04#p438904 but using fusion-icon instead of dropbox.

There still seems to be a noticable delay between fusion-icon is loaded and the desktop being usable.

#6 2008-10-26 20:05:01

toon

nan wrote:

Also tried a method similiar to this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 04#p438904 but using fusion-icon instead of dropbox.

There still seems to be a noticable delay between fusion-icon is loaded and the desktop being usable.

I'm experiencing the same. I was going insane trying to load compiz INSTEAD of metacity as per http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … sion.22.29. Oh well, I guess it can't be done. WIERD.

The annoying thing about this is that if I start up programs and they start before compiz is loaded, wierd things happen (like buttons missing on the top etc). Also, I can't for the life of me get session-management to work with compiz-fusion and gnome 2.24.. sad

Last edited by toon (2008-10-26 20:08:09)

#7 2008-10-27 07:01:13

allbluedream

Same problem. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … sion.22.29 does not work any more. Adding compiz ccp & before exec gnome-session is almost working, except that this way compiz does not read my personal settings. There is no significant lag in my case though, not so much more than it used to lag when the wiki way still worked under gnome 2.22.

#8 2008-11-07 07:20:45

allbluedream

I've posted the question on the gnome support forum: http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopi … 8519#58519
It hasn't quiet worked for me, but maybe it's just my machine.

#9 2008-11-07 08:23:44

mandog

There is a better way: From Parsix Forums

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor

Navigate to: /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/

Change "current" and "default" values to /usr/bin/compiz

This would be faster and does not cause delays. Because, compiz is directly loaded and not after loading metacity.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#10 2008-11-08 01:07:54

allbluedream

mandog wrote:

There is a better way: From Parsix Forums

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor

Navigate to: /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/

Change "current" and "default" values to /usr/bin/compiz

This would be faster and does not cause delays. Because, compiz is directly loaded and not after loading metacity.

Doesn't really work. These keys seem to be deprecated in Gnome 2.24.
As indicated on the Sawfish website http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/User_Guid … _and_GNOME, something has changed since 2.24, but I do not know what that change is.

#11 2008-11-27 20:31:26

WladyX

Has anyone found a solution yet? smile

#12 2008-11-27 20:37:46

mintcoffee
Website

Change the following key in your gconf:

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

to your window manager (/usr/bin/compiz in this case).

I've change it to xfwm4 in my case.

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

#13 2008-11-27 22:32:16

jordanwb

mintcoffee wrote:

Change the following key in your gconf:

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

to your window manager (/usr/bin/compiz in this case).

I've change it to xfwm4 in my case.

I tried that (and disabled fusion-icon) and it didn't work for me. On a related note, on gnome-look.org what category do I look under for Compiz-fusion themes?

#14 2008-11-27 22:44:59

sand_man

I just put fusion-icon in xinitrc and metacity is never loaded.

neutral

Board footer