You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-23 15:40:16

Zetsumei

I'm new to Archlinux but not to linux in general.

I'm a new user to Arch but not linux and just got a few questions before I get started.  How easy or hard is the install for Arch?  Is it like the gentoo install or easier?  Also, is there an IRC or something incase I run into any problems installing it?  And lastly, just saying hi to everyone here.

#2 2008-10-23 15:56:54

syntaxerrormmm
Website

Re: I'm new to Archlinux but not to linux in general.

Hi Zetsumei,

welcome smile I just switched to Arch from Debian (and before Debian came Gentoo), so I should definitely say that the installation is fairly simpler than Gentoo's one. If you already installed Gentoo once, you should be familiar with the steps (at least with partitioning). A good way to start is the Official Installation Guide, which is shorter than Gentoo's one.

Wiki is also a good place to inform on problems with Arch, I suggest you give it a read before starting. I found necessary to read also the Package Management guide and the Pacman guide.

If you really come from Gentoo, you don't need any particular skills, other than the ones you already have to install Gentoo smile

Regards and good luck with Arch,

syntaxerrormmm - Homepage

#3 2008-10-23 16:50:11

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Also, we do have an IRC channel... #archlinux@freenode.net

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2008-10-23 16:59:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums Zetsumei.

I came from weeny-GUI land and using nothing but the Office Guide I got through it without any real problems. To a Gentoo user Arch's installer should be pretty simple. I would have either of the installation guides handy just for reference.

#5 2008-10-23 17:47:36

Zetsumei

I've made it up to the last stages of Gentoo's install but screwed up something and it wouldn't boot.  But I do know some of this I just wanted to know if it was anything like Gentoo's install.

Also, is there a GUI by default or will I need to install that myself?  If so, how would I install openbox?

pacman install openbox

Or how would I do that?

EDIT:  I might start doing it tonight if I can get some time to backup my windows machine that hasn't been on in months...So, I'll probably see you all in IRC then.

EDIT 2: I got one more question.  Is there anyway to get a file off my windows machine because I'm not even gonna try to fix it and get the file.  I wish I had another computer to hook the hard drive up to sad.

Last edited by Zetsumei (2008-10-23 18:07:53)

#6 2008-10-23 18:25:01

Zetsumei

Does arch support AMD Sempron cpus?

#7 2008-10-23 19:00:46

flowheat

Zetsumei wrote:

EDIT 2: I got one more question.  Is there anyway to get a file off my windows machine because I'm not even gonna try to fix it and get the file.  I wish I had another computer to hook the hard drive up to sad.

Just boot up a livecd.  I'd recommend Zenwalk but any livecd should do and then you just have to mount the NTFS partition and you can easily copy the file to a usb stick or burn it to a cd or what have you.

Zetsumei wrote:

Does arch support AMD Sempron cpus?

Arch will run fine on an AMD Sempron.

#8 2008-10-23 19:10:33

amranu

pacman -Sy openbox

Last edited by amranu (2008-10-23 19:10:42)

#9 2008-10-23 19:12:46

Acecero

Zetsumei wrote:

Also, is there a GUI by default or will I need to install that myself?  If so, how would I install openbox?

pacman install openbox

Or how would I do that?

Though openbox is the most popularly used WM on Arch, its not a default, there is no defaults. You choose what you want on your system, like Gentoo.

You use: pacman -S openbox

to install it. I recommend reading the Beginners Guide. It has all the information you would like to know in a sweep.

Last edited by Acecero (2008-10-23 19:15:54)

#10 2008-10-23 19:19:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Acecero wrote:

Though openbox is the most popularly used WM on Arch,

OT: That's the second time I've seen that statement today. I find it hard to believe... are there stats somewhere to back it up?

Dusty

#11 2008-10-24 21:26:37

Acecero

It's quite obvious if you look in the screenshots thread, about 25% percent or more of the users post openbox screenshots.

Some users also claimed to be inspired to switch other, just because of the screenshots they see.

Last edited by Acecero (2008-10-24 21:27:05)

#12 2008-10-24 22:21:56

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Dusty wrote:
Acecero wrote:

Though openbox is the most popularly used WM on Arch,

OT: That's the second time I've seen that statement today. I find it hard to believe... are there stats somewhere to back it up?

Dusty

I tend to agree that Openbox is the most popular..Just my perception based upon the forum content.
I don't think this board has the option for polling though, so we may never truly know.

#13 2008-10-24 23:34:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

I don't think this board has the option for polling though

That's one of the reasons we switched from punbb. ;-)

I didn't mean to argue the point I'm just surprised by it. I would consider Openbox a fairly "easy" window manager that wouldn't appeal to most Archers (plus I've always psychologically divided "simplicity" and "xml" into a mutually exclusive taxonomy. :-D). I guess the userbase is changing after all. smile

Dusty

#14 2008-10-25 01:23:51

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Dusty wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

I don't think this board has the option for polling though

Doh!

I didn't mean to argue the point I'm just surprised by it. I would consider Openbox a fairly "easy" window manager that wouldn't appeal to most Archers

Nor I; not arguing at all. wink Openbox easy? Now I feel like I have been cheating..

(plus I've always psychologically divided "simplicity" and "xml" into a mutually exclusive taxonomy. :-D). I guess the userbase is changing after all. smile

Dusty

Well, don't forget, I don't doubt there is a huge unspoken majority of Arch users that never even post here. They're probably the ones using Awesome, DWM, and Ratpoison.
big_smile

#15 2008-10-25 06:01:43

wirenik

...we switched from PunBB?

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

Board footer