You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-24 00:25:58

adamruss

A lot of problems with updates (testing)

First of all i want to say i am not complaining, i know using the testing repo is a risk, just want to see that i'm not alone...

I have a lot of problems since bluez, gnome 2.24 and python2.6 are in testing...:

1. gnome's bluetooth is still broken (after updating it manually)
2. gedit is still EXTREMELY slow, i use TEA now.
3. rhythmbox is broken - had to recompile locally and now works
4. avant-window-navigator-bzr broke, had to recompile
5. compiz-fusion-git was fine, updated to 20081024 and everything broke big time, i quickly went back to my 20081012 build.
6. pymsn is broken, so telepathy-butterfly is broken too, so empathy wont connect to msn acounts ("network error")

if anyone else have these problems please confirm, and if anyone has a solution for any of these problems i will love some help.
thanks.

#2 2008-10-24 23:03:14

adamruss

Re: A lot of problems with updates (testing)

just wanted to add:

7. screenlets-bzr wont update, i suspect it's a bzr problem but other bzr repo's update just fine.
*5. moving from a gconf backend to a flat-file fixed most of the brakage, but now cf-plugins-extra-git wont build, but i think this is a cf problem, and will be fixed fast.

#3 2008-10-25 06:59:47

killajoe
Website

Yes me to:

-gedit is still EXTREMELY slow >>adding the lo devive to my network helping a bit but still about 20 Seconds... i ask at german Forum but people do not have this...
-gnome's bluetooth is still broken>> YES-again no services
-pymsn is broken, so telepathy-butterfly is broken too, so empathy wont connect to msn acounts ("network error")>>

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

#4 2008-10-25 07:37:21

bender02

Just a note to these that you had to recompile: this is to be expected, when a big upgrade hits testing - this time it was gnome (and yesterday python). New libs mean that most packages that depend on them need to be recompiled against them. While for packages in extra this happens while everything is still in testing (and then moved at once), for packages in community this happens only when the new libs are moved out of testing (otherwise the packages would break for people who are *not* using testing). Also for packages that are in extra, but a bit higher up the chain (like your rhythmbox) it may take a couple of days until they get recompiled centrally. Stuff you compile from AUR (avant-window-navigator-bzr) you need to take care of yourself.

EDIT: so the morale is: when you update and see that some libs in testing get updated, and some program stops working, the first thing to check is if that program isn't compiled against the updated library. If yes, then most of the time a simple recompile fixes things. I don't consider this  "a breakage".
When you update and see that a half of gnome gets a big version bump, expect that some higher level programs (in my case it was f-spot) might stop working until recompiled.

Last edited by bender02 (2008-10-25 07:40:58)

#5 2008-10-25 08:15:43

adamruss

bender02 wrote:

Just a note to these that you had to recompile: this is to be expected, when a big upgrade hits testing - this time it was gnome (and yesterday python). New libs mean that most packages that depend on them need to be recompiled against them. While for packages in extra this happens while everything is still in testing (and then moved at once), for packages in community this happens only when the new libs are moved out of testing (otherwise the packages would break for people who are *not* using testing). Also for packages that are in extra, but a bit higher up the chain (like your rhythmbox) it may take a couple of days until they get recompiled centrally. Stuff you compile from AUR (avant-window-navigator-bzr) you need to take care of yourself.

EDIT: so the morale is: when you update and see that some libs in testing get updated, and some program stops working, the first thing to check is if that program isn't compiled against the updated library. If yes, then most of the time a simple recompile fixes things. I don't consider this  "a breakage".
When you update and see that a half of gnome gets a big version bump, expect that some higher level programs (in my case it was f-spot) might stop working until recompiled.

i agree, but,

1. updating python from 2.5 to 2.6 is not a regular lib update, it's big.
2. gnome bluetooth is broken for a very long time allready (before the 2.24 update) - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11502
3. when i get a "cant find libblabla.so.xx" it is a regular thing, and recompiling is the solution indeed (rhythmbox, avant..), but what to do if the recompiling brakes because of the new lib? (pymsn)

Board footer