You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-24 05:33:48

shiki
Website

Arch linux liveCD question

Hello.

I have a small , and important question. So far, I managed to create a new liveCD. That's ok. But Im stuck at a point. I got a problem regarding "rc.local".. I want to start espeakup, but somehow it just refuses to work. I tried to write a link into /etc/rc.d/ but not works. (I(/we) want to make a speakup/orca enabled liveCD for blind people..thats why..)

Any idea?

#2 2008-10-24 15:44:14

monstermudder78

Re: Arch linux liveCD question

Not sure exactly how you are trying to accomplish your goal, but this page helped me when I had some rc.d questions:

Without a clean and well-designed framework, the startup scripts had to bend over backwards to satisfy the needs of rapidly developing BSD-based operating systems. It became obvious at last that more steps are necessary on the way to a fine-grained and extensible rc system. Thus BSD rc.d was born. Its acknowledged fathers were Luke Mewburn and the NetBSD community. Later it was imported into FreeBSD. Its name refers to the location of system scripts for individual services, which is in /etc/rc.d. Soon we will learn about more components of the rc.d system and see how the individual scripts are invoked.

The basic ideas behind BSD rc.d are fine modularity and code reuse. Fine modularity means that each basic "service" such as a system daemon or primitive startup task gets its own sh(1) script able to start the service, stop it, reload it, check its status. A particular action is chosen by the command-line argument to the script. The /etc/rc script still drives system startup, but now it merely invokes the smaller scripts one by one with the start argument. It is easy to perform shutdown tasks as well by running the same set of scripts with the stop argument, which is done by /etc/rc.shutdown. Note how closely this follows the Unix way of having a set of small specialized tools, each fulfilling its task as well as possible. Code reuse means that common operations are implemented as sh(1) functions and collected in /etc/rc.subr. Now a typical script can be just a few lines' worth of sh(1) code. Finally, an important part of the rc.d framework is rcorder(8), which helps /etc/rc to run the small scripts orderly with respect to dependencies between them. It can help /etc/rc.shutdown, too, because the proper order for the shutdown sequence is opposite to that of startup.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/

Also, here is my thread regarding rc.d and rc.local that was [SOLVED], may have some examples for you.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57298

Last edited by monstermudder78 (2008-10-24 15:47:34)

Board footer